Star Swirl *** 1st build

panther
Top Producer

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby panther » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 am

No the guitar is cast resin, The covers are thin polycarbonite sheet, you heat the plastic sheet, then you lay it on top of a mold, close the lid, then pull vacuum.
Resin is the bonding agent in Fiberglass. Two different processes.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:57 am

I remember my "Vac-u-Form"...a "toy" I begged for one Christmas. It had a small plate with holes for the vacuum, it's own vac pump, heater for the supplied plastic sheets and came with various molds. Don't think the surface area would be big enough for p/u covers but wish I had held on to it!
Scott

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:32 pm

BRRanger wrote:I remember my "Vac-u-Form"...a "toy" I begged for one Christmas. It had a small plate with holes for the vacuum, it's own vac pump, heater for the supplied plastic sheets and came with various molds. Don't think the surface area would be big enough for p/u covers but wish I had held on to it!
Scott

I made a larger version using plain wood.
It works pretty good. I've made many vintage radio dial covers with it.
Google: Home made vacuum molds.
Dan

Here one of many..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BR9aayq-tw

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Nice info. Dan! Gave me some ideas for other projects. Don't suppose you know of Mike S. in Fallbrook? An old friend that has an extensive vintage radio collection.

Oh, sorry for veering off topic, Star Swirl is looking excellent!
Scott

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:28 pm

:idea:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:32 pm

My Thermoplastic Sheet is in the mail and I have some neat ideas. ;) Thanks for pointing this out, experimentation is always fun! How about an Airline-type mosrite? Sounds like a project to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:51 am

Scott;
It's been a few years since I was heavy into Vintage Radios. I do have a lot of radio stuff I'd like to move out. Maybe give him my number. (PM sent to you)

Chris;
I have been thinking of making an all fiberglass Acoustic guitar. I just have this theory that being Fiberglass is very consistent, and stable, It should create pretty pure tone. Thoughts ?

Dan

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm

panther wrote:
Chris;
I have been thinking of making an all fiberglass Acoustic guitar. I just have this theory that being Fiberglass is very consistent, and stable, It should create pretty pure tone. Thoughts ?

Dan

I have seen Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitars, but not Fiberglass. Better Make sure it has well thought out Bracing though. :) Wonder how it would sound? Could be cool, you would know better than I.

All I'm thinking of now is someone blowing a glass jug :lol: Yeah weird, I know.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Why isn't there a delete button for posts you didn't mean to make?

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:21 pm

cmiller0034 wrote:
panther wrote:
Chris;

Dan

I have seen Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitars, but not Fiberglass. Better Make sure it has well thought out Bracing though. :) Wonder how it would sound? Could be cool, you would know better than I.

All I'm thinking of now is someone blowing a glass jug :lol: Yeah weird, I know.

Just to clarify I think that a fiberglass Acoustic would Sound like someone playing a Jug. Which still makes no sense. It would sound nothing like that. Just a crazy notion.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”