New member Allentown,Pa

MIgnatius

New member Allentown,Pa

Postby MIgnatius » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 am

Hello everyone! I joined the forum to attempt to get some advice before buying a Mosrite. I think that I would like to go the route of restoring one as opposed to buying one mint or already restored. The most important thing to me is the playablility. Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying? What parts are hard to find? Can you even get fret wire for these anymore? I got bitten by the Mosrite bug about a year ago and I think I'm ready to take the next step.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx.

gplayer
Top Producer

Re: New member Allentown,Pa

Postby gplayer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:40 am

Can't help you with that...but welcome to the forum.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. Some people compare Mosrite frets to mandolin fretwire, so that might be a good start, but there are several professional builders here on the group who could probably give you more details.

Another route to consider if you like projects is a "parts-rite", look under the projects section and you'll see a few of us have put together guitars from parts remaining after the factory closed.

Good luck and again, welcome!
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Welcome to the forume! Mel is right on - He, and a few others of us pruchased parts from a guy in Canada, and put together some very playable guitars ... Danny, Kevin and some of the others have built some, and there are a number of pros on the forum. It's a great site if you love Mos ... and clones, and look-alikes ...

Dennis

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Dennis and Mel are 'dead on' as far checking the "Project" Thread, especially if you have decided to go this route. Whether it be replacing the truss rod, a volume pot, all the way up to refinishing a body or a neck, there is ALWAYS someone here that can help you out ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Welcome to the forum

Building a Mosrite either from scratch or a Parts-Rite can get expensive and parts are scarce. Even finding one to restore is going to be up there in bucks. The best deal for the money is a Hallmark Custom 60. Check out the Mosrite clone section of this forum.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Danny is definitely correct. Your best bang for the buck is a Hallmark 60 Custom. If you like woodworking projects, by all means build a parts-rite or restore an original, but you better do it because you like the project, not to save money.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 am

Now this part I can help you with. As a satisfied customer of a Hallmark 60 Custom, I can vouch for their quality and playability. As far as today's production built guitar standards go, I would rate it right up on the top tier. I've been very pleased with mine.

MIgnatius

Postby MIgnatius » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks alot guys! Everyone has been really helpful. I have checked out the Hallmarks online, and they seem like really solid guitars. I'd like to find a dealer to play one though. I'll keep reading the info in the forum and better educate myself before coming to a decision about restoring restoring a vintage one. Thanks for the info!

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:55 pm

The only way you will find a 60 Custom in a store is if it was traded in. They are buy direct only as far as I know.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”