Contemplating a MkI Build

Out of Limits

Contemplating a MkI Build

Postby Out of Limits » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 pm

I could probably stretch to one of the Japanese clones, but I just like making things, so I'm looking at building a MkI. I like the '64-'65 spec: top jack, no binding, plain pickups and knobs. I shall do some more searching, but for now, these are my main concerns:

1. Is the consensus that the Mosrite templates on Ebay are close enough? I don't have access to one to trace around and I don't trust photos because it's hard to find a shot that's dead straight on, to avoid parallax errors.

2. Pickups. I gather M3 is no longer in business, so that leaves Ed Elliott and Dana Maseley?

3. Bridge & tailpiece. No offence intended to Bob Shade, but I prefer the look of the Vibramute/Moseley tailpiece with the bridge mounted on it versus the separate Hallmark bridge & vibrato. If there's nothing available, I might consider making patterns for sand casting. I think ludobag's thread has all the dimensions. Any input on that?

Before I go any further, I just want to clarify that I'm not looking to make a fooler and I won't put Mosrite anywhere on it, but I would like the construction and hardware to be correct. 8-)
Stu

panther
Top Producer

Re: Contemplating a MkI Build

Postby panther » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am

Members here will have all the specs you need.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

I've been reading through Ludobag's thread, but I'm still unclear on a couple of dimensions on the bridge and Vibramute tailpiece.

1. Would anyone be able to confirm the bridge post spacing on a Mosrite bridge? Is 2 7/8" centre to centre correct?

2. I gather the Ebay roller bridges are 2" E - E, is that correct for a vintage Mosrite?

3. It would really help me if someone can measure the hole centres on the Vibramute mounting screws, so i can check my drawing is OK... I just need the spacing on the two outer screws, either side of the VIBRAMUTE lettering.

Thanks in advance. With those questions answered, I can get on and make a pattern. 8-)
Stu

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Bump. Anyone have a rule or tape measute handy? :?:
Stu

Picure

Postby Picure » Wed May 17, 2017 5:21 am

Out of Limits wrote:I've been reading through Ludobag's thread, but I'm still unclear on a couple of dimensions on the bridge and Vibramute tailpiece.

1. Would anyone be able to confirm the bridge post spacing on a Mosrite bridge? Is 2 7/8" centre to centre correct?

2. I gather the Ebay roller bridges are 2" E - E, is that correct for a vintage Mosrite?

3. It would really help me if someone can measure the hole centres on the Vibramute mounting screws, so i can check my drawing is OK... I just need the spacing on the two outer screws, either side of the VIBRAMUTE lettering.

Thanks in advance. With those questions answered, I can get on and make a pattern. 8-)

The screws on my Kurokumo Vibramute measures 6.5cm from the middle of one screw to the other.

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks for that. I was able to get more measurements from someone else, so I think I have what I need, but any other input is welcome.
Stu

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 am

I figured I had enough information to make a start. The neck blank was big enough to get two out of, so I have a practice neck and a good one. With luck, maybe two good ones and hopefully not two practice ones...

With no access to a real Mosrite, I bought the template set. It now comes with a neck profile, but that doesn't seem to relate very well to the neck and fretboard templates. I'd seen some criticism of their neck template being too narrow, which appears to have been addressed as mine is 42mm at the zero fret. However, the neck pocket at the body must have been left alone, because the neck template won't fit the neck pocket template. Also, the holes for the machine heads in the neck template are at least 3/8" too low and would have the E tuners hanging off the headstock. :roll: I'll post some photos up later. Still, I really bought these for the body, pickguard and headstock outlines, so they will serve for those - everything else is better documented on this forum.
Stu

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:01 am

Here's the neck template sitting on top of the neck pocket template, which it should drop into...

Here are the neck and fretboard templates, lined up at the slash cut on the end of the fingerboard (neck template has this line on it). If that's meant to be the zero fret line, it's 1/4" out on the neck template.

I don't think putting the machine heads there will work. :shock: Allowing for the zero fret line being 1/4" out, the side profile template is probably about right, but there's still a 5/16" discrepancy with the fretboard template in the length ahead of the zero fret.

Stu

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 am

Like you mentioned the machine head holes are way off. You can't mount the tuners in the first two holes. Maybe you should point these discrepancies to the seller and ask for an updated set.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”