double neck identification

Jasonallenw

double neck identification

Postby Jasonallenw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm

I need help identifying this double neck. Possibly a Joe Maphis XVIII. Someone painted over the entire guitar body, neck and headstock in thick awful black paint. the number at the fretboard ends are T762 on the 12 string and GC7928 on the six string neck. Any info would be appreciated.

dave m

Re: double neck identification

Postby dave m » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

i just want to say that is beautifull whatever it turns out to be. I am in love

Jasonallenw

Re: help w/ double neck identification

Postby Jasonallenw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 am

Thank you. I've found some things that may point to it being a Ventures Model XVIII #105. I've read the Vibramute embossing across the bottom of the vibrato is pre '66. I also think the aluminum vibrato was sand casted. Not sure if the 4 pearl inlays on each headstock are original or why they would be added but compared to the awful paint job they seem too well done to have been a part of that alteration. also the screw locations on the scratchplate and switch placement don't match what i see that on the photos I've found of the Joe Maphis models. I also don't think it ever had bolt plate plates on back of the joint. I'll keep digging.

Jasonallenw

Postby Jasonallenw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Looks like if found some answers under the black paint. apparently its a clone.

Jasonallenw

Postby Jasonallenw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 pm

what i've found points to a Frankenstein project built by Gene Moles Customs using some Mosrite parts and copying the design. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Yep! Gene Moles guitar. You have probably read that Gene worked as a foreman at the Mosrite factory on P street in Bakersfield and bought a stockpile of completed and near completed guitars plus a ton of parts and accessories when the factory went belly up. Gene had a nice shop on East Niles street in Bakersfield in the mid to late 60's selling those Moles-Mosrites. Anything by Gene is as quality as a factory built Mosrite. Gene's son Eugene Moles is in Nashville and carrying on his dad's tradition of working on guitars.
Danny Ellison

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Might be neat for both parties if Eugene could restore it to it's former glory!? It's just a thought...
Scott

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”