Hello, Everyone.

kotadawg

Hello, Everyone.

Postby kotadawg » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm

I'm Jack and I've joined on the advice of a friend, Damon, who probably goes by Damon67 here. This might not be the proper place but I'm currently looking at 2 different Mosrite Venture Mark I guitars. I played one yesterday and it played and sounded fantastic. But there was no serial # on the fret board. The serial number, T552, was under the pick guard. The only place I've found serial # info is at Tymguitars.com. Based on the info there, this guitar would be a 12 string. The seller didn't think the pickguard was original because some of the holes under it had been filled in. The tremolo bar had a regular philips-head screw through the top.

The second guitar is in great shape. However it was refinished in a non-standard color over 6 years ago. Larger frets had also been installed. Other than that, it appears to be original. Serial # is 3503.

Is there somewhere that I can get more info on serial numbers, models, etc? Also is there somewhere I can find the effects of non-original parts, and particularly refinishing, on the current and future value? Thanks.

Jack

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: Hello, Everyone.

Postby GattonFan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure that one of these guys will have an answer for you. Enjoy the Forum ...

Dennis

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jack. On the 2nd guitar; If there's a truss rod cover on the Headstock,
chances are it's a '65-'66. Does it have a Vibramute Trem System, or a Moseley? Also, are the
knobs the Jewel Type (lathed), or does it have the "M" Logo on them?? Also, how much are the
guitars going for, and are they worth what you would spend on one of them??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Jack,

Welcome to the forum. If you've got pictures of the guitars it will be much easier for us to help you. Otherwise, in addition to the features Dennis asked about, do the guitars have "The Ventures model" on the headstock? Does the headstock say "Mosrite of California" or something else (The New Mosrite, Mosrite by Semie Moseley, etc) Are the pickups single coils or humbuckers? Are the controls a single vol/tone or vol/tone for each pickup?

Is it possible that the guitar without a s/n had fretwork done? The s/n sometimes can be lost if the fretboard is filed down too much.

Good luck,
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Jack,

Welcome to the forum. If you've got pictures of the guitars it will be much easier for us to help you. Otherwise, in addition to the features Dennis asked about, do the guitars have "The Ventures model" on the headstock? Does the headstock say "Mosrite of California" or something else (The New Mosrite, Mosrite by Semie Moseley, etc) Are the pickups single coils or humbuckers? Are the controls a single vol/tone or vol/tone for each pickup?
Is it possible that the guitar without a s/n had fretwork done? The s/n sometimes can be lost if the fretboard is filed down too much.
Good luck,
Mel

LMAO!!! Mel, my original response to Jack was ALMOST word for word!! After "proofreading"
my response, I went back and deleted it fearing that I might SCARE Jack away from the Forum Image[/img]
But now that I read it; the more info, the better ;) ....still LMAO!!

kotadawg

Postby kotadawg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 am

Both guitars have "The Ventures model" and Mosrite of California" on the headstocks. The blue one (serial # issue) still has the speed frets. The red (refinished) has larger frets. I only have one photo of the blue one and 30 photos of the red one. I'll try to get more photos of the blue one today. The blue one is $3,400, and the red one is $2,900. I don't want to spend this kind of money for a guitar that is not going to appreciate in value because of the serial number issue or because it's been refinished. Opinions are greatly appreciated. Below are links to the pictures. Thanks.

Jack

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/kotadawg/Mosrite/

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/kotadawg/Mosrite/Mosrite%20Blue/

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:25 am

Jack,
The first thing you probably need to do is to see which one you feel more comfortable playing.
Then whichever guitar that might be, you now need to take a more serious look at it. I can tell you that the case that comes with the Refin is not from the 60s era. If it is a Mosrite case, then it is from the 80s, although it still looks a little different from my 80s case. The Refin looks as though it was professionally done, but was that the Original Color Red that was on the guitar, or....??
Bottom line, a Refin will always fetch less than a banged up Original Finish, sad but true :( . I could never understand how people restore old cars, etc., to make them look good and increase the Value, and yet, that does not hold true for Vintage Guitars, and I'm talking about ones that were professionally done.
The Red Refin appears to be a '66. The Blue one could be a' 66 or a '67. Supposedly, 1967 was the last year the Ventures were associated with Mosrite (Logo on the Headstock). I have seen a few '68s with "the Ventures" Logo on the Headstock (and no, these were not decals), but these could of been leftovers from '67 not assembled yet. The only REAL WAY to tell on the Blue, would be to pop the Neck off. There should be a stamped date on the heel of the Neck as well as a stamped date inside the cavity of the Body ;) .

kotadawg

Postby kotadawg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 am

I can't play the refinish because it is too far away. And I'm pretty sure it is not an original color. The blue one felt, played and sounded great. And it had a lot of paint checking, which I assume is no big deal. Just received some photos of another one with the original case. Here are a couple of photos. He's going to send more. Serial #3592. Another question, is there that much difference in value between the Ventures and non-Ventures model? Thanks.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/kotadawg/mosrite%20witty/

There are now 24 photos of the latest one. Supposed to be all original. He'll sell for $3,500. Opinions please. Thanks.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:17 am

Mosrites with "the Ventures" Logo on the Headstock, supposedly will fetch more than the non Logo version. However, I have NO PROBLEM spending more money on a non Ventures Logo Model if it's in better shape, but again, that's just me. :roll: That last Blue one you posted looks awesome!!. That ALMOST looks as though it was refinned 6 or 7 years ago!! That's in darn good shape! ;). But, how much is this one going for??

kotadawg

Postby kotadawg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 am

He'll sell it for $3500. Do you think it's a refinish? How about the price? The seller is pretty well know on a Rickenbacker website I belong to. He said he bought it off of a collector and I really have no reason to doubt him. Thanks.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”