MOSRITE MKI 1968- string eater

Rogermontana

MOSRITE MKI 1968- string eater

Postby Rogermontana » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:37 am

I recently got a 1968 mosrite MKI... Awesome sound, cool looking but unreliable for the gigs as it destroys the strings. 3 gigs , in two of them ended up breaking a string (A and E) With the post detune...that does not allow to continue...
Playing with the 63 jazz master never had a problem even abusing of the tremolo
The string does not break...it gets over stretched near the bridge.
I read in several posts that is a problem with the little wheels of the bridge but did not find a solution...

Any ideas ???

Thanks !

rcblair

Re: MOSRITE MKI 1968- string eater

Postby rcblair » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Rogermontana wrote:I recently got a 1968 mosrite MKI... Awesome sound, cool looking but unreliable for the gigs as it destroys the strings. 3 gigs , in two of them ended up breaking a string (A and E) With the post detune...that does not allow to continue...
I read in several posts that is a problem with the little wheels of the bridge but did not find a solution...

Any ideas ???

Thanks !

I would start by applying some lubricant to the bridge wheels. PB Blaster - available at any large auto parts store - is what I always use to free up old rusty car bolts. Spray some into a cup and use a little paint brush to get it into the wheel hubs.

You can also check for rough spots on the bridge wheels. If they have been frozen for a while they may have developed some sharp edges.

Better still, switch to bass. We never have that problem. :D

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

Rogermontana

Postby Rogermontana » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Rick

Will have a close look at the wheels and will try with your recomendations...If it doesn t work...will switch to bass!!!! hahahah

thanks!

R

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:54 pm

rcblair wrote:
Rogermontana wrote:I recently got a 1968 mosrite MKI... Awesome sound, cool looking but unreliable for the gigs as it destroys the strings. 3 gigs , in two of them ended up breaking a string (A and E) With the post detune...that does not allow to continue...

Any ideas ???

Thanks !

I would start by applying some lubricant to the bridge wheels. PB Blaster - available at any large auto parts store - is what I always use to free up old rusty car bolts. Spray some into a cup and use a little paint brush to get it into the wheel hubs.

You can also check for rough spots on the bridge wheels. If they have been frozen for a while they may have developed some sharp edges.

Better still, switch to bass. We never have that problem. :D

Rick B.

Ditto.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”