Mosrite Bass B0250 little presentation and questions.

Fredo

Mosrite Bass B0250 little presentation and questions.

Postby Fredo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:29 am

Hi !

I am the happy new owner of this Bass guitar: ;)

http://www.guitarecollection.com/Mosrit ... 970-s.aspx

Serial Number B0250. No Date on neck or Body. I do not know, may be around 1972 ? I read somewhere here that B0240 was from 1972. But Obviously the numbers don't follow, so... The only thing I am sure is that's a post 1967, of course.

Anything about the name of this Colour ? I don't think about Cherry red. It's between Claret and deep pink. Not fare from a Metallic effect.

She sounds really good.
Only the neck has a problem, I have to unscrew the trussrod => neck too convex, but I don't have enough place to slide the 1/4 key on it.. :evil: Special key ? special trick ?

I also get a 80s or 90s Japan one. Who sounds great also, in light water green. The Body is a little bit smaller, the wood is lighter. The electronic alone sounds as so good as the US one. But the Body gives her a sharper medium sound, what we can already here unpluged. The US one has more low end and Sustain, more wood and density.

When I will again find somewhere to Upload pictures... :roll:

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Bass B0250 little presentation and questions.

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Originally this bass would have been entirely sunburst; the red finish on the body and neck is not original, so it would be impossible to give you a factory name for that color. Call it what you like, and enjoy your new Mosrites.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah, I agree with dorkrock...I had a '72 6 string with s/b finish and the same on the headstock. The red body with s/b headstock looks odd and I doubt Semie would have left that combination leave the factory. Looks like this was refinished red, or you mentioned neck issues it may be (?) that the neck was replaced.
Scott

Fredo

Postby Fredo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 am

Ok... :cry: I swallowed this now.. :?

To be honest, I had also a doubt.. : The colour itself is nice and well finished, a lot of used spots. The colour is old, this is sure. The colour under is light grey, no sign of an originally Sunburst. But may be complete sanded, and this is may be a primar then? I saw some Mosrites Guitars with Silver or metallic effects, so... I fought this colour could be possible in the 70s. But the borders of the Headstock are indeed repaint in black, not gradient.

Overall, are all US Ventures style Mosrite Basses Sunburst ?

I have to live with this now, and in this case, I paid it too much. Also if they are hard to find in EU, and more expensive as in the US..
I prefer this colour to a classic S/B, :roll: but I like original condition by old stuff, and my bass has not it complete value. Only for me, because she sounds great, and I like this used colour. :geek:

Fredo

Postby Fredo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 am

And what about the trussrod, special key or trick ?

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:17 pm

All of the basses that I have seen from that period, including the one that I bought, have a thick clear coat over the sunburst that tended to crack. That may have prompted a refinish. My bass has a plain maple headstock and I don't recall seeing others with a burst headstock, but you can never be sure what was coming out of the workshop.

I would apply some penetrating oil to the trussrod nut (I used PB Blaster but I don't know what is available to you) and let it sit for a few days before trying to turn the rod. If it doesn't turn, apply more oil and wait another few days. I always try to turn the nut back and forth slightly and once there is movement turn it a little further in each direction. I have developed a feel for turning rusty bolts from years of working on old cars that I can't explain, but don't put too much pressure on the nut, especially in the clockwise direction.

You will need to get some SAE (American) hex keys for the truss rod nut.

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

Fredo

Postby Fredo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for your reply Rick :-)

I saw another one, also in this shop, already sold => where also the headstock was Sunburst. ;)

Yes.. certainly refinished. :roll:

I already applied some WD40, do you know this in the US ? I use it also often for my old cars :P :lol: Yes screw back and forth ;)

But at first stage I have to be able to put a tool over the nut :shock:
I have SAE Hex key, for my old Jag. But like usuely at Mosrite Guitars => too thick.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:44 pm

WD 40! I probably drank as much of that as I did coke way back when I bought my first '58 Edsel. That thing was held together with rust!

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Fredo wrote:Thanks for your reply Rick :-)

I saw another one, also in this shop, already sold => where also the headstock was Sunburst. ;)

Yes.. certainly refinished. :roll:

I already applied some WD40, do you know this in the US ? I use it also often for my old cars :P :lol: Yes screw back and forth ;)

But at first stage I have to be able to put a tool over the nut :shock:
I have SAE Hex key, for my old Jag. But like usuely at Mosrite Guitars => too thick.

I just took the truss rod cover off the neck on my bass. I didn't have to adjust the neck so I didn't pay much attention to the adjuster. I was mistaken - it's not a hex key adjuster. You will need a socket - an eyeball guess would be 5/16". There is another thread over in the Clones section about trussrods. I think you need to have all tension off the strings and then the nut might move far enough to get a socket on it. The nut on my trussrod is up against the wood on one side of the neck right now. Some people take a cheap socket and grind down one side so it will fit over the nut.

BTW, I read a comparison of thread penetrating fluids and the best one seems to be a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. That combo required the least amount of torque to loosen a rusted bolt.

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

Fredo

Postby Fredo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks that you removed your cover plate to help me :)

You are right, neither a spanner would help, not enough place to move it.

Also by loosing of the strings the nut is too close to the wood. BTW the nut is not rusted, but seems very tightend. The neck is convex.
oh.. 5/16 ? I tried this week-end, and really 1/4 seems to be closer, or may be already so worn that..
I will buy a cheap assortment of Sockets on the web and grind down like shown on the thread.

I keep you informed ;)

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”