Same pickups used for '64 Ventures & '67 Joe Maphis, others?

tom-ocaster

Same pickups used for '64 Ventures & '67 Joe Maphis, others?

Postby tom-ocaster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:08 am

I have a '64 Ventures that has the original pickups with smooth covers, but they appear to have an open circuit (due to rust). The pickups produce sound alright, but not quite as they should (I think).
Q1: Would the actual pickups be the same for the '64 Ventures as would be for other models from the same mid-'60s era? I know the covers are different, but otherwise, are the pickups the same?
I may have an opportunity to buy some used pickups from a Joe Maphis model for replacements, & am considering this in lieu of rewinding the original '64 pickups.
The '65 model I have original pickups that read about 12K. The J-M pickups appear to read about 10.2K. I cannot obtain a decent reading on the '64 Ventures I have, due to what appears to be an open circuit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I am open to selling the '64 as is, but I have not listed f/s yet...I was hoping to have the "bugs" worked-out first. I'll post pics later this weekend, descriptions below.

Thanks,
Tom
Mosrite novice

* 1964 Mosrite Ventures Model Guitar (ser # 1136), VG, original black finish, VibraMute tailpiece, truss-rod adjusts at heel, normal wear, 8-screw pickguard, plain smooth pickup-covers (no logos), original double-line Kluson tuners have plastic buttons (an anomaly, but original), original smooth knobs (were grungy, are now cleaned, but have a slightly different patina...kinda nickel vs chrome, but appear completely original), Fender gig bag.

Notes:
pots are recent replacements, 250K (not 500K), cap appears original
some finish flaking due to water damage at lower butt-end of body (reveals white undercoat)
according to this Japanese website of Mosrite owners, ser # 0982 also has original plastic button Klusons <http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mochizuki/kiyoshi/kiyoshi/mosriteowner/ownerlist.html>
I do have a complete set of period-correct double-line metal-button Kluson Deluxe tuners available that would be norm for this era Ventures Model.

~

* 1965 Mosrite Ventures Model Guitar (ser # 2818), VG+, original sunburst finish, Moseley tailpiece, truss-rod adjusts at heel, normal wear, 8-screw pickguard, 1965 body & neck dates, pickup covers have Mosrite of California (no circled "R"), original gator hardshell case.

'65 Mosrite Notes:
Neck Date: NOV 8 1965 (stamped with black ink under finish, & also with stock # 0015)
Body Date: OCT 14 1965 (stamped with dark-blue ink, also twice with stock # 021, & some indecipherable hand-written initials..."B"..."Wed"...?)
Neck pickup at 12.0 K
Bridge pickup at 11.8 K
Tone Pot is frozen: 134 6534 (34th week of 1965)
134 = Centralab
Part #: BA811 - 3901
Volume pot works good: 134 6534 (34th week of 1965)
134 = Centralab
Part #: BA811 - 3901
Tone capacitor, brown/tan ceramic disk: CRL, .05 +/- 20%, 50V
IN SHOP for refret.
1 intonation screw is not original, but is a very close match (1 original broken screw in case)
Previous owner/seller & History:
This is a previously uncirculated guitar, having been in storage probably since the 1970s. Pots were completely frozen, but otherwise, nice condition.
Previous owner/seller states that the guitar was found in the attic of a RI house during an estate clean-out in April 2014.
~

maxkat

Re: Same pickups used for '64 Ventures & '67 Joe Maphis, oth

Postby maxkat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:30 am

Hi Tom,

as long as the pickups produce sound there may not be the need to rewind them – maybe more something like a weak contact. I'd try to open them carefully to look for a weak solder joint, it may be an easy fix.

Cheers, Max

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:50 am

Hi Tom, can you post some pics? Interesting question.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 am

My guess would be a grounding issue with the change out pots. If it's not grounded properly the sound will be weak.
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:23 pm

dubtrub wrote:My guess would be a grounding issue with the change out pots. If it's not grounded properly the sound will be weak.

Can you explain that a little bit further, Danny?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 pm

There can be a cold solder joint which restricts or breaks continuity for a strong flow through the wiring circuitry. Some times it can visually look like everything is fine but if you wiggle the wires at their connections usually at the tab of the pot or on the pickup itself, the cold solder joint will usually break loose. Or, the ground wire may not have be routed properly. The guitar may still play and the first thing people think is something is wrong with the pickup. If the coil wire of the pickup has been damaged or broken there won't be any sound. A pickup magnet can become weaker with age and not sound as strong or as good as it use to but since the pots have been changed that would make me think it was wired improperly or has a bad grounding joint.
Danny Ellison

tom-ocaster

Postby tom-ocaster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 pm

ElTwang wrote:Hi Tom, can you post some pics? Interesting question.

How does one add pics to this forum? Is there a place for picture albums?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Here's an old topic for posting photo's hopefully it will help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Here's an old topic for posting photo's hopefully it will help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53
Danny Ellison

tom-ocaster

Postby tom-ocaster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

dubtrub wrote:Here's an old topic for posting photo's hopefully it will help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53

Thanks, Danny. I'll have to set-up a photobucket acct. I won't be able to post pics tonight.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”