Drilling holes in a Vibramute trem plate

Dantana

Drilling holes in a Vibramute trem plate

Postby Dantana » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm

How would I go about drilling the holes for the axle while making sure they are perfectly straight across from each other?

Also, what size holes should I drill for the posts that hold the bridge? How about for the wood screws that hold the plate to the body?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Drilling holes in a Vibramute trem plate

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Dan,
Are you making a vibramute from scratch or to you have one that's been partially case?
Mel

PS. welcome aboard!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Sounds like he's making one from scratch. If you have access to a Vernier height guage its easy, just measure up the distance from the guitar attach face to where the centre of the hole should be and scribe a line, then switch sides and scribe the same line again on the opposite face. Then for the fwd/aft location, sit the tailpiece aft side down (end where Vibramute logo is) against an angle plate and scribe then other crosshair line on both hole locations on each side.

Now, this sounds simple but if you cant get hold of tools then a simple Scribe Block, can be set at the desired height to scribe the lines, to be accurate you need to do this on a nice flat surface (a surface table or kitchen counter if you havent got access ;)).

In toolmaking the best way to ensure you are drilling dead centre is to also scribe a square around the hole at IDENTICAL distances to form a 'box', usually the final hole size diameter, that way if the drill wanders you will be able to pull it back on centre so that the final drill size (open hole in increments from an 1/8 dia pilot) cuts all four lines of the square around centre. This is a basic but very accurate way to drill by hand, as good as it gets really and in all honesty, ample for what you are trying to achieve here.
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

Dantana

Postby Dantana » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:06 am

I'm drilling into a plate that I bought from Bill Gruggett last spring (which makes me wonder if there is any historical significance to it).

The plate is aluminum and unfinished, but there are indentations for where to drill the screw and bridge post holes. There are even "seams" on the solid aluminum where I need to drill the holes for the rocker axle, so I know where to drill, but I'm terrified of drilling off center and ruining the trem plate.

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 am

That appearance is because the plate is cast and the holes drilled afterwards. Just start with a small drill and work your way up, if you already have an indentation that represents where the hole goes then its even easier, just drill out to the edges.

If you are really unsure and want it done by a professional then let me know, I can get it done locally if you send me the plate, its no big deal...
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

Dantana

Postby Dantana » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:03 am

Hmmmm, I might just do that. This brings up another question- along with the plate, I got the rocker and arm, both aluminum and unfinished. No holes have been drilled anywhere on the rocker (string-thru guide, axle, arm connection) and the arm is just flat where it connects. From photos on this site (Mel's parts-rite project) I see that there should be a washer like thing with a square nut attached to it where it looks like a screw would go to hold the arm and rocker together. Since there seems to be so much that I would need to do to get the arm/rocker combo going, I've been considering e-baying these two parts and buying them from Bob Shade, who said he'd sell the same parts to me for $100. I've also read here on the forum (awesome resource!) that those parts should be interchangeable with the Mosrite trem plate.

I'm guessing I could mostly finance the Hallmark parts with the proceeds from the sale of these two parts and get a finished, working arm/rocker combo. What do you guys think?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am

Dan, are you building a Mosrite clone from scratch or restoring a guitar? If you don't necessarily have to have a Mosrite vibrato plate, you can buy the entire vibrato assembly from Hallmark. I use them on the clones that I build and they are great units and not overly priced. If you are going to pay $100 bucks for the arm and rocker you may as well get the entire assembly. Ask Bob for a price before you decide. If you decide to sell all of your rough cast components, send me a pm, I may be interested.
Danny Ellison

Dantana

Postby Dantana » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 am

I'm putting a guitar together from various parts. I'm not sure if that get classified as a restoration or not, but I probably wouldn't call it a clone either. I sort of want to keep the plate for the "correct" look. I know I can buy the whole kit from Hallmark for $135, but then I'd have a finished Hallmark plate, and an unfinished arm/rocker assembly. It seems easier to just get the parts I need and sell the ones I don't.

I'll send you a pm if I decide to sell.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:57 am

Unless they come with the parts you're getting from Bob, you will also need a set of roller needle bearings for the trem plate that the rocker rides in. Mosrite used one size and Hallmark uses another.
Danny Ellison

Dantana

Postby Dantana » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 am

Ah, OK. I have the ones that were sent by Bill Gruggett, I believe they are model B36. Would you happen to know the size Hallmark uses?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”