Going to Ed Roman

Franco

Going to Ed Roman

Postby Franco » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm going to Vegas next week and planning to go to Ed Roman Guitars (and will most likely be buying another Mosrite). I saw that you have to set up an appointment, which I'm okay with doing but can anyone tell me more about how it works there? Have you been there recently? Do they still have tons of Mosrites?
Basically, anything you can tell me about the place, what to expect, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you guys

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Going to Ed Roman

Postby jfine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 am

Ed Roman passed away a couple of years ago. I don't think the store is still in business--I was in Las Vegas in December '12 and I didn't see a listing for them in the phone book. You might try Artie at Front Porch Music in Bakersfield, CA.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 am

They're still doing business and I bought a guitar there last year. But I highly recommend to get a vintage Mosrite or a Hallmark!

Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 am

jfine wrote:Ed Roman passed away a couple of years ago. I don't think the store is still in business--I was in Las Vegas in December '12 and I didn't see a listing for them in the phone book. You might try Artie at Front Porch Music in Bakersfield, CA.

I sent bakeoboy a message on here awhile back inquiring about the Mosrites they had, but he never got back to me.

SanchoPansen wrote:They're still doing business and I bought a guitar there last year. But I highly recommend to get a vintage Mosrite or a Hallmark!

Can you tell me anything about their stock of Mosrites? Do they have vintage ones?
I love the Hallmark guitars and will own one eventually. Right now a Ventures Mark I is what I'm after. Possibly another Johnny Ramone model. I don't know yet, I'm very excited to go there and pick up a bunch and find the "one".

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I drove into Las Vegas a few years ago and got in late, around 5:00pm to find that his (huge, ex-furniture showroom) was closed. Closed, on a Saturday early evening? Most musicians I know don't even get up until 1:00pm! Anyway, the next year I made it back earlier, and found his shop had moved down the road, on Dean Martin Drive...found it but it was a very small shop, although no appointment seemed necessary to go inside. Some Europeans were in there and had just purchased a "Mosrite" looking guitar that said Mosrite on the headstock. From what I understood Ed Roman carried Fillmore Mosrites, and I had never planned on buying one from him based on his internet rants on "Fake" Mosrites, claiming that only his were "true" Mosrites. Well, just my opinion, but I disagreed with his opinion. Next time I'm in LV I'll stop in just out of curiosity, as long as I don't need an appointment to stop by.
Scott

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 am

Sorry, I don't know anything about their stock. I can only confirm that they claim to sell the only original Mosrites...which they don't. In my opinion, that is...

Franco

Postby Franco » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm

BRRanger wrote:I drove into Las Vegas a few years ago and got in late, around 5:00pm to find that his (huge, ex-furniture showroom) was closed. Closed, on a Saturday early evening? Most musicians I know don't even get up until 1:00pm! Anyway, the next year I made it back earlier, and found his shop had moved down the road, on Dean Martin Drive...found it but it was a very small shop, although no appointment seemed necessary to go inside. Some Europeans were in there and had just purchased a "Mosrite" looking guitar that said Mosrite on the headstock. From what I understood Ed Roman carried Fillmore Mosrites, and I had never planned on buying one from him based on his internet rants on "Fake" Mosrites, claiming that only his were "true" Mosrites. Well, just my opinion, but I disagreed with his opinion. Next time I'm in LV I'll stop in just out of curiosity, as long as I don't need an appointment to stop by.
Scott

The appointment thing is kind of strange. I don't care for his rants either. Guess I will find out how it works there when I go. I'm not going to buy anything I don't absolutely love. Thanks for the reply.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Franco:
Yeah, sorry I don't have more info, but think you can get in just by walking in off the street. Certainly worth the visit, you never know what might be hanging on the wall!
Scott

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I was on the website recently, and they were talking about appointments, and $100.00 deposits, which could be applied to any purchase. They say they will reveal their address when you make your appointment, and deposit... On further reading, they came right out and "discouraged" lookey-loo's, as in if you're not serious, stay away... The website seemed to be updated, so, I guess they only want paying customers! I think Ed hired like-spirits to run his operation!
Olrocknroller

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

" I think Ed hired like-spirits to run his operation!"

Please don't tell me that there are more like Ed in this world!!!! :shock:

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”