Introduction.

LHyde

Introduction.

Postby LHyde » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello to all on the forum. I am a new member thanks to Mel Waldorf. With his help We were able to overcome several obstacles to register. I was a life long friend and partner of the late Billy Don Gruggett. I am sure that he will be missed by all that were fortunate to have known him, and by all of you who respected and loved his work. I am sure that I can learn a lot from this group and perhaps contribute in some small fashion. I am pleased to finally be a part of this forum. Thank you very much. Lonnie Hyde . Victorville California.

FrankJames
Top Producer

Re: Introduction.

Postby FrankJames » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Welcome to the forum, Lonnie, we're glad to have you !

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Good that you made it inside. Welcome aboard Lonnie and enjoy your stay. I know I have. ;)

-Paul

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Glad to see you here Lonnie! Can you tell us a bit about your partnership with Bill?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:15 am

Welcome!

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 am

Welcome.
Jim

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 am

Welcome Lonny!

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Again, hello to all. The navigation of this site is new to me,so please be patient. I have found no instructions on how to use it, even if I did it is still the old dog new trick thing. I hope that I am in the right section to answer the questions. My partnership with my late friend started over 51 years ago. I was 14 years old and Bill was 24.I met bill at an old lumber yard up on the old north Union Ave. in Bakersfield @1961. I was looking for some wood to make a guitar for my wood-shop class at South Bakersfield High. I was wondering around hopelessly lost, which got Bill's attention and interest. He asked me what I was looking for and I explained just what I was looking for and why, but I didn't have a clue as to what kind of wood to look for. Bill then said that he had made a "couple" of guitars and he proceeded to help me pick out some wood. I had no idea that would be the beginning of a life long friendship. He and I stayed in touch for a few weeks until I was having trouble with the neck. Bill then invited me to come to were he was working and gave me the address. My father took me there and then I found out that it was the mosrite plant behind the convention center in Bakersfield and I was very embarrassed at that point to have bill see my work. It was my dream and all the guitar players that I knew at that time, was to own a mosrite guitar. Bill came over to me and took me and what I thought was a guitar into the building. He looked it over for some time and asked if I had ever made a guitar before, and my dad told him that this was my first ever attempt. Bill found the problem fairly quickly. It was an angle issue with the neck heel. In less than 10 minuets he had it fixed. I did not know at time wether He felt sorry for me or was impressed with what I had done to that point. He asked me if I would be interested in learning more about making guitars? I said very much so. He gave me his address and I would go there as often as my dad could take me, and that started my first rate instructions to becoming a guitar maker. He helped me make two guitars for two friends that were in my little surf band at the time. Bill kept me from making the learning mistakes that he had along the way to knowing what he was now teaching me. From that time on I worked with Bill making his guitars until I was drafted in 1965. I beat the draft by joining the Air Force. There was a while there that that we did not see each other except for the occasional letter. I November 1966 I was shot down over Cambodia and it was a long time until I could return home in August of 1969. When Bill found out That I was home and not dead, he came out to the old home place and asked me if I would still like to help him make guitars. YOU BET was my answer to that. It would give me a purpose and a chance to try and forget the war. Bill was a good friend, teacher and a role model. We made many guitars together. one day Bill asked me if I would like to have my name on a guitar instead of his. I was very flattered, but I said no, but if he would consider putting both of our names on it ,that would make very happy. We made about six or seven this way until I was involuntarily recalled back into active duty with the Air Force. We continued to work together for a few years long distance. I would make the wood pieces, send them to Bill and he would paint and return them to me wherever I was stationed. There are a few of these guitars around the world. When I retired from The Air Force I lived in Victorville california just a short drive from Bakersfield and this made working together much easier. This is what we did until my late wife was diagnosed with cancer. That was when I stopped making guitars. Shortly after Margaret passed away Bill became ill with the same diagnoses. I stayed in very close touch with Bill until his passing and attended hi recent funeral. At this point I must tell all of you. There is a person among your ranks That did everything a man could do to bring some overdue recognition for Bill's skill and talent as a master guitar builder and was also a very good friend to Bill. I know this to be a fact because Bill always spoke very highly of him and his friendship with him. The greatest tribute and compliment to give a person is to recognize there accomplishments and acknowledge them while they are still alive. This man has also become a close friend of mine and I am very proud to know a person with the heart, loyalty,integrity, and character that this man showed to my friend Bill Gruggett. You all probably know him or of him, but may not know just how decent and caring he is as a human being. This person is also Bill's friend,, MR. Bob Shade. I am happy to call him "FRIEND". Best Regards to all and a Very Merry Christmas to you all... Lonnie Hyde.
Lonnie Hyde

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Lonnie! Nice to see you on the forum! We will all benefit from your experience here.

Your guide and template should be there any day now.

Peace and Happy Holidays,

YOUR friend,

Bob

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Hello Bob. Thank you for your kind words. Thank you for sending the parts. If the guitar turns out, it will the first in a long, long time for a Hyde/Gruggett guitar. I am a little rusty. Best regards. Lonnie.
Lonnie Hyde

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”