tonechamber project

tonechamber

tonechamber project

Postby tonechamber » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and a big fan of mosrites. I've bought a project off ebay a few months ago (mosrite tonechamber) which included the body and partially finished neck, no hardware. Seller said it was left over stock from when Mosrite finally shut down for the last time. The neck seems a bit dodgy and the routs in the body seem a bit rough but so I don't know if it's a real Mosrite but I've decided to fix it up anyway.
My first problem is with the pickup cavities. Does anyone have a routing template for the pickups that they could email me? I need to check the cavities in mine are of the proper size. Also, what pickups do you all recommend?
Cheers

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: tonechamber project

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:19 pm

Congrats on the Mosrite project. A partially finished neck can be shaped right up; that's what I did with my parts-rite.

As for pickups I strongly recommend Elliots - they are a dead ringer in construction and tone for the originals in my '66 Ventures model.

Mel

PS. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

PPS. Introduce yourself in the Introductions forum ;)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Elliot's are the best Mosrite replacement pickup as he builds them on the same equipment he used when he worked at the Mosrite factory. Hallmarks Custom 60s pickups are great as well. They are the same shape and size as Mosrite but are a little more of a P90 sound, plus they are a little cheaper. If you want to go the Hallmark route, I have an extra set that I installed temporarily in one of my Mosrite clones before I pulled them and installed Elliot's. If interested let me know via PM, I'd let them go for $130, they are $160 from Hallmark.

Also, I still use a set of Hallmarks in my CAR Mosrite clone I built. See it :arrow: here.
Danny Ellison

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Tonechamber, sounds like you got a great score. The pickup routs are kinda rough on the mosrite body I got as well. L8r, Kevin

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum Tonechamber. You had posted:
Also, what pickups do you all recommend?

If there's anyone here that can recommend P'ups for you,
it's definitely Mel, Danny or Jim.... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I bought my pickups from Curtis along with all the other parts. I had to replace them for several minor reasons and then 1 of the replacements didn't work. Long story short I sent it out to E.F.Elliot and he fixed it and had it back in less than a week. It now works great. I will go to Elliot for any Mosrite pickups in the feature.
Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

tonechamber

Postby tonechamber » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks for the replies dudes. What kind of tones can you get out of the Elliot pickups (or other mosrite replacement pickups)? I'm into almost everything except metal. I'm in the process of stripping the body and will post some pics when done.
Cheers

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 pm

tonechamber wrote:Thanks for the replies dudes. What kind of tones can you get out of the Elliot pickups (or other mosrite replacement pickups)? I'm into almost everything except metal. I'm in the process of stripping the body and will post some pics when done.
Cheers

Tonechamber, you might want to "get your feet wet" sort of speak, and check out all the Sections of the Forum. We have a "How to" Thread which is going to be 'DEAD' up your Alley :mrgreen: . There's also a Section mentioning the Pick-up Comparisons as well, but to give you a Head Start, if you are looking for that "Dead On" Mosrite sound, the majority of the members that have purchased replacement Pick Ups, seemed to agree on the E.F. Elliott Pickups. And then again why not, considering he worked at Mosrite back in the day! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”