Whammy won't stay in tune.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Whammy won't stay in tune.

Postby SanchoPansen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 am

Hello and thanks for the help ;-)
Like said in my introduction I do own an original Mark V and I bought a Dana Mark I 2 weeks ago.
Now the Dana model plays well and I really like it, but the whammy won't stay in tune. When I pull it up it just stays there.
When I press it down it won't come back to the right spot. I'm not firm with machines (I work at a bank) and I'm just a player.
The only thing I could do is to apply some oil to some parts, so it won't be so sticky any more. But before doing so I thought I might check with you guys as you all seem to have way more experience than I have.
This is where I think I could apply some oil in order to make the whammy go up and down smoother (sorry for stealing the pic - someone stole my mobile and I'm too lazy to pick up my camera):
Is it okay to put some oil on the joints? Or will the whammy go crazy after that? Thanks in advance folks ;-)
It came exquipped with really thin strings (I usually play .011 or more). Could changing the strings to a heavier gauge help the whammy to stay in tune?
Oh and I just pulled a trigger on a 60 custom! I will be a proud owner of a Semie, Dana and Bob model! Darn, that feels good!

Cheers
Sancho

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Whammy won't stay in tune.

Postby Veenture » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 am

Sancho, I have a feeling that the problem area could be the wammy bar's coil spring, itself. I had the same problem with my Kurokumo Mosrite. I replaced the original spring with my reserve "Hallmark" spring (slightly heavier/longer, I think) and the problem was solved. You could also try s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g your coil spring a bit. Good luck.

-Paul

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:05 am

Hey thanks for the fast reply. That sounds plausible. I'll check that option as well. For the time I wait for a new spring, does anyone know if a little oil or WD40 would help or rather damage the joints?! Just don't want to ruin the guitar...

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:27 am

Take the strings off the tuners, remove the spring, and make sure there is no binding "unloaded". Put the spring in and try it again, the spring is probably getting hung up on the arms fastener. I remember having to grind the nut smaller(hex) on one of my mosrites.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 am

Okay, I disassembled the whole system today without success... :evil:
I'll try to describe what I did:
First I changed the spring. I had an old spring (noname) lying around here. Same issue -> I use the Vibramute by pressing, I jumps back to the correct position. I bend it up, it stays almost one note (E becomes F) above the original position.
So the spring doesn't seem to cause the problem (well, maybe it does and the cheapo spring is having the same issue - there are things like coincidences...).
I also pulled out the bolt inside the system, cleaned it and put some WD40 on it. Next thing was making sure that the nut isn't hanging on the spring. First I removed one of the washers so the nut goes further up. Didn't help. Next I took out the whole arm. Same issue: pull it up and it stays there.
Then I discovered that the whole system had contact with each other at some point. So I removed some material and pushed it further down. The issue remains the same. Here's a picture of the part I mean:
I discovered 2 more things that I found a little bit disturbing. The G-string roller won't roll (seems like the part has been pushed together). It can be moved, but it won't roll on it's own. I removed the G-string to be sure that this isn't an issue and yes, the problem remains...here's a picture:
The 2nd thing that caught my attention was the space between the roller bridge and the pickup:
It's hard to tell if these parts do have contact or not. I might try a different nut or rasping a little bit off the original one, just to be sure. So that's what I did for the last 3 hours or so and it still won't stay in tune. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed easily, as I don't know what to do any more...any kind of help is really appreciated. :cry:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:28 am

My guess is that the string guide contacting the base plate is the issue. Try putting a nylon or teflon washer in between the two parts to reduce friction.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:30 am

This sounds like a classic nut binding situation, even though Mosrites have a zero fret and string guide in place of a nut. I would make sure the strings aren't binding in the string guide, and also lube the string guide as well as the zero fret where the strings make contact.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:05 am

Teflon washers...check! (Could have thought of this as well ;-) I feel embarrassed now)
Checking the other side of the neck seems also plausible. Any recommendations regarding the lube? Vaseline?!

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:53 pm

for me you have lot of friction point that s why it doesn' stay in tune
the rocking part like you said ,maybe in the string guide (string same as when you buy the guitar or more highter gauge ?)
as i see your bridge is not really flat too ,maybe it move a little, moreover if it have a contact with the pups (you can try to put it upside down maybe the head screws doesn't touch the pups?)
the roller of bridge who doesn't roll ect ....
take it point by point to find the friction
if there is no friction normally it will stay in tune
maybe you have to pull down the bar for it
and other thing i have just think what brand of string do you use maybe some are defective ? (i have buy month ago sets who have always E treble who broke after there are mount and one time i have same trouble with the D string )

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:02 pm

The G-string roller won't roll (seems like the part has been pushed together).
To get it rolling again, try using a piece of string by pulling it to and fro on the roller as a pulley, much like a car's fan belt turning the fan.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”