Help valuing this Mark I

Shizenda

Help valuing this Mark I

Postby Shizenda » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi folks, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in valuing this Mark I. I have been in contact with this guy for about a fortnight, and he is selling his grandfather's Mark I. If all goes well there should be photos with this, but I will fill in a couple of details. The serial number is 4781, the tailpiece says Mosrite of California and Moseley on it, which I think makes it a '66. As you can see it has a fair bit of wear and tear all over the guitar and has what appears to be some kind of damage to the fretboard (cracked? snapped?) I'm not necessarily looking for a mint condition guitar, so the general wear and tear doesn't bother me too much, but I guess what I would like to ascertain from you guys is how much I should pay for a guitar in this condition?
Your help and expertise greatly appreciated!
Scott
17 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
10 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
2 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
9 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
6 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
3 by Kombinibento, on Flickr
13 by Kombinibento, on Flickr

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Help valuing this Mark I

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

In my opinion biggest difference from 65 to 66 was the change in the truss rod adjustment from the bottom of the neck to the top of the headstock. I believe that 66 was also the year were the mosrite control knobs were made taller. So if I had to make a guess I would say this is a 65 model. it certainly can be a 66, but would have to be an early year production.
a 65 ventures one is good condition is about as good as it gets. please let us know how the tranaction turns out.
:D :D :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Shizenda

Postby Shizenda » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks Aaron, appreciate the comment.
A 65 hey? From what I can see these knobs are small and do not have 'V' and 'T' on them, but I have mailed the owner to find out for sure.
What I really want to know is....what should I pay for this guitar in this condition?
The guy who owns it, who has been very nice so far, is currently asking $2400. He initially asked quite a lot more based on what he had seen on ebay.
Scott

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 am

Scott,

That's probably a pretty good deal, some people have been asking a lot more for non-Ventures Mark I's on pay bay :lol: but you might ask for a side view of the neck to try and ascertain what that is on the fretboard, to get an idea if it affects playability.

Looks nice, hope it works out for you!

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

That gash on the neck almost looks like somebody tried to reset a fret with a hammer, the fret jumped out of the slot and :shock: .
Olrocknroller

Shizenda

Postby Shizenda » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks guys.
Yes, the gouge in the fretboard is unusual, for sure. My problem is that I live in Australia, so obviously there is no way I can actually see the guitar first hand. Also, Mosrites are as rare as hen's teeth where I live (never actually seen one here), so as much as I like these guitars, my first hand experience is limited to what I saw and played whilst living in Japan, which is why I'm really asking for your help with this one.
By the way, the tuners are Kluson Deluxe and the pickups have Mosrite of California on them. The scratch plate has 8 screws and the guitar has it's original case, albeit a bit faded.
Scott

Bigwave

Postby Bigwave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Its not a 1965 model. Its a 1966 model, just like you thought. Check out the Mosrite timeline on this forum :D

http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2781
Bigwave Dave

1966 Ventures Mk I (My Fav!)
1968 Kustom K200
1977 Les Paul Std
1982 Explorer CMT E2
1982 Gibson V2
1987 Stratocaster
1966 Guyatone Sharp 5
1967 Teisco Vegas 40
1968 Greco Shrike
1968 Norma EG400
1969 Firstman Sharkfin
1969 Guyatone LG250T

Shizenda

Postby Shizenda » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks Bigwave. That Mosrite timeline thread is something I have been looking at closely to try to accurately date it - it's a great resource and has taught me a lot about the guitars already.
Given the condition of this guitar, I'm reluctant to pay any more than $2000 for it, which I have told the guy. I also have to have it shipped to Australia, which will be another $150.
Is $2000 too much?
Scott

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 pm

$2000 is a good price with the original case. You won't find one any cheaper.
Danny Ellison

lynaron

Postby lynaron » Fri May 18, 2012 2:32 pm

It cost me $120 to have my 66 (serial number 4875) shipped from the US to Germany (and worth every penny, I must say) through the APO system. $150 real mail doesn't seem all that unreasonable, if packed right.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”