Source for 6-32 fillisters in chrome or nickel?

power chord hack

Source for 6-32 fillisters in chrome or nickel?

Postby power chord hack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:31 am

I need some pup screws and the only 6-32 fillisters I can find are stainless which won't work or zinc which don't look right to me (yeah, I know, :roll: )

Anybody know where I can get some in chrome or nickle ?

Thanks

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: Source for 6-32 fillisters in chrome or nickel?

Postby GattonFan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Possibly Bob Shade or Ed Elliott might be able to help you there.
Dennnis
So many guitars; So little time ..

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 pm

The screws used back in the day weren't plated. That's why we see so many Mosrite pickups with rusty and corroded pole-pieces.

This is sort of unrelated but, I read a tech article a long time ago to the effect that rust on your pole-pieces actually reduces eddy current losses. Something to do with rust acting as a natural resistor to electric currents. Of course, rust is not so pleasing to the eye and so everyone does what they can to get rid of it. But I find it ironic that, while it doesn't enhance the appearance of the instrument, it actually has some practical benefits.

As for the plating, nickel will have a little yellower tint than chrome. Chrome has more of a blueish tint to it. Zinc will have more of a greenish tint to them. Of the two, if my memory serves me correctly, zinc will have a far higher resistance to corrosion than nickel as time passes. I can't remember how it stands up in relation to chrome since it's a 3-step process.

You could always buy zinc screws, soak them in acid to get rid of the zinc plating, and then have them nickel plated.
How dare you presume to inject, using reproducible facts and rational thought, an on-topic discussion into a thread that had degenerated from sarcasm, personal invective, and hand-waving arguments?

power chord hack

Postby power chord hack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I heard the rust-is-good thing, too.
It pertained to tranny cores IIRC but it may apply to pups as well since it's sort of the same thing.

You could always buy zinc screws, soak them in acid to get rid of the zinc plating, and then have them nickel plated.

Heh, that's a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go for vanity screws - even for a nit picky dork like me :)
Although... this could be a perfect excuse to get a Caswell kit. Hmmm....

http://www.caswellplating.com/

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

You know, now that you've brought it up; as I'm thinking back, I think the "tech article" I was referencing was in relation to transformers. But now that we're on the subject, it does cause one to ponder if rust could be beneficial for a guitar pickup? I think Seymour Duncan said something about the rust causing the insulation on the pickup wire to deteriorate and eventually short out the coil. But I think that pertained to vintage Fender type pickups where the wire was wound directly on the magnet. But on a pickup that uses a bobbin and insulated wire, applying the same principle used with laminates and transformers, I do wonder if it would reduce eddy current losses?

Food for thought... :idea:
How dare you presume to inject, using reproducible facts and rational thought, an on-topic discussion into a thread that had degenerated from sarcasm, personal invective, and hand-waving arguments?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:43 pm

I have 60's nickel plated NOS Mosrite/Hallmark fillisters in stock. Happy to sell you sum.

Bob Shade Hallmark/ 240-473-1157

power chord hack

Postby power chord hack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, You might be able to see a difference in the trace on a rely nice scope but whether there's a aurally noticeable difference between cleans v. rusty poles seems like the impetus of about 100 pages of mud flinging on other forums :)
Besides, I bury my tone under maxed power tubes and mountains of fuzz.

I just want shiny screws :D

power chord hack

Postby power chord hack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Bob Shade wrote:I have 60's nickel plated NOS Mosrite/Hallmark fillisters in stock. Happy to sell you sum.

Bob Shade Hallmark/ 240-473-1157

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm

power chord hack wrote:Well, You might be able to see a difference in the trace on a rely nice scope but whether there's a aurally noticeable difference between cleans v. rusty poles seems like the impetus of about 100 pages of mud flinging on other forums :)
Besides, I bury my tone under maxed power tubes and mountains of fuzz.

I just want shiny screws :D

Well, I agree with you. I don't mean to sound like I'm advocating rusty screws. :lol: I prefer clean and shiny myself. ;) Just thought that would be an interesting concept since eddy currents can be your worst enemy in terms of tone. Bill Lawrence has published some interesting info about that kind of stuff. But you're right, if one has to plug it in to a scope so you can see the difference then it's probably not worth the effort in the first place! :lol:

power chord hack

Postby power chord hack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:08 pm

mmm.... Rusty Screw.

I'm gonna go make 1 (or 4)

1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
1/2 tsp Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
1 twist lemon peel

Combine scotch and grand marnier in a brandy snifter. Add a twist of lemon peel, and serve.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”