hello from australia!

torana

hello from australia!

Postby torana » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi all, big mosrite fan here from the land of oz!

how did i get into mosrites?

I was introduced to the mosrite by an aussie band called Tumbleweed. I was only a teenager and had heard them and had a few cd's of theirs and in the sleeve for the cd one of the guitarists (lenny curley) had done some art of his guitar and called it a mosorite (make mine a mosorite). So originally thats how i thought it was spelt. I had to go and see them live to see if this was a real guitar as this was just before the web had taken off.

I saw them at long jetty on the nsw central coast and they rocked. Tumbleweed are a stoner rock band and I though lenny's mosrite was the best thing i had ever seen. It wasnt a strat or fender or gibson and was different. It was the salvidor dali of guitars and looked just right with the longer lower horn and angled headstock. I later went on to find out that lenny had a rare 25th anniversary mosrite, and have never seen another one. If one does come out for sale, look out, its mine!

to watch a tumbleweed video click here (if your into stoner rock youll love it!)
http://youtu.be/cp83WX4mwKk

Then the web came along and i could find all the mosrite info i wanted. Well there wasnt much mosrite info on the web but i soon found out about the ventures and the ramones. And then one day there was EBAY.

I had to have a mosrite and was driving my girlfriend/wife to be nuts , so i bid on one, not a ventures model but what ended up being a pretty rare 'gospel encounters' goldburst model from the states and won it. I was hooked!
I was like a kid at christmas, couldnt sleep for the 9 nights it took for it to turn up and one day in the letterbox was a note to pick it up from the post office.

It was awesome. you could tell it was hand made and i like that. It was exactly what i wanted, and i had never seen anything like it.

well one thing led to another and before you know it i had the following

1965 ventures Ice Blue

1965 ventures Candy apple red over Blue (my lounge room guitar)

1966 ventures Sunburst

1966 ventures MKV

and on the way from Japan
1965 ventures MKII (imposiibly rare guitar and the mosrite Ive been after for quite a while!)

Ive been in touch with Tim Brenan from Tym guitars and he's a real nice guy and if you need anything fixed or repaired he's your man.
His Wosrites look like nice guitars and if they are good enough for J mascis they are good enough for me.

Also in the past have been in touch with Dr Michael Marks about buying one of his MKII's but the price he wanted was way above what I was willing to pay and that was over 5 years ago. Other than that I dont know much about him but have checked his collection on the web and its quite impressive.

I also collect primarliy Pre_CBS fender models. It was a great time to buy years ago when the aussie dollar was strong and the american dollar died.
Instead of buying houses, fancy cars, or shares i bough guitars. My family though i was nuts!, but the wife was great and could see that not only where they great investments, they look great around the house! Around early 2000 vintage prices went crazy, they have crashed at the moment (good time to buy) but as the american dollar gets better they will rise again. I dont want to sell and dont need to, but at retirement Ill look at selling, so in another 25 years get in touch with me.

As a matter of fact its about the same now and thats why i bought the MKII (plus its only the second one ive seen on ebay in about ten years)

Up next? A vibramute, fixed neck early model ventures would be great. Any one got one they want to sell or trade?

to see all my collection(still under development)
http://home.exetel.com.au/mosrite/index.php

and whats a Torana? only the best aussie car ever made
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... iQf_nsW2BQ

cheers Julian
1965 Ventures MKI Ice Blue
1965 Ventures MKI Candy Apple Red
1966 Ventures MKI Suburst
1965 Ventures MKII Sunburst
1966 Ventures MKV Sunburst

The Vintage Guitar Gallery: The place to be for Pre-CBS Fenders and Early Model Mosrite Guitars

Olav
Top Producer

Re: hello from australia!

Postby Olav » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Welcome Julian! Nice couple of guitars you got there.
va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
my guitars @ LGTf
Official Member of the GUN Guitar Owners Association
my 2011TDPRI entry

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Welcome to the forum Julian very impressive collection. So you're the one who bought the MK2, would love to see more pics and a serial number. Kevin

torana

Postby torana » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Im hopefully picking the MK2 up this afternoon.
serial is B106

will get some complete pics up asap on my website and share with you guys.
1965 Ventures MKI Ice Blue
1965 Ventures MKI Candy Apple Red
1966 Ventures MKI Suburst
1965 Ventures MKII Sunburst
1966 Ventures MKV Sunburst

The Vintage Guitar Gallery: The place to be for Pre-CBS Fenders and Early Model Mosrite Guitars

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forum !!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Awesome intro Julian, with stacks of eye candy to go along...and all yours too! :shock:
My compliments, you have good taste, sir :D
Only this year at age 67, I became owner of my very first Mosrite, a beautiful MIJ (Kurokumo) Super Excellent and I'm proud as punch to have it. Enjoy the forum.
-Paul

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Welcome to the forum! Great-looking collection, especially the Mos. Nice to have you join us. Enjoy!
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Welcome! Congratulations on a beautiful collection...hopefully the investment pays dividends when you decide to sell!
Olrocknroller

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, Julian. That's a lovely collection of Mosrites you've got!

Toranas are cool machines - Aussie cars usually only get the the US when they're rebadged (ie the recent Holden Monaro / Pontiac GTO)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:39 am

Welcome Julian :).
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”