Issue with a VIbramute tremolo arm

elisha wiesner

Issue with a VIbramute tremolo arm

Postby elisha wiesner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:13 am

Hi,

I'm setting up a '64 Ventures with a Vibramute and there is a lot of play in the trem arm. If I jam a heavy gauge pick in between the arm and the other piece of metal that about does the trick but this is obviously not a solution to the problem. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this? It's not an end of the world type problem and the guitar plays great, it would just be nice to have better response from the tremolo and not to have it swinging around freely. Any input would be appreciated.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Issue with a VIbramute tremolo arm

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am

The next time you change the strings you can tighten the arm a little. If the gasket between the arm and other metal part is not functioning correctly you can make a new gasket from the plastic material from a six pack carrier. Go to the bottom of the page on this link to see a detailed look at the parts: http://www.mosritecelebrity.com/page18.html
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

elisha wiesner

Postby elisha wiesner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am

Sarah, thanks for the info but the pic there is of a different version where there is a screw that can be tightened. This is a fairly early Vibramute tremolo and and the arm has no screw. Hence my problem.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:58 pm

On the early vibramute, I think there's a threaded post on the arm and you attach it with a nut from underneath. Same general concept as the later Moseley arm. You should be able to tighten the nut, and you could use some liquid lockwasher threadlocker to keep it from loosening.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

elisha wiesner

Postby elisha wiesner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 pm

It's odd, It seems like there should be a nut but if that's what it is it has been completely rounded over. It certainly doesn't move. Could be that it's frozen up and someone was trying to force it and just completely stripped the nut or something.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Some vintage Vibramute arm attachment nuts were ground round with hammered screw bottoms. I believe yours is this way from your description.

You can remove the rounded off nut, but first you will need to grind the bottom of the hammered screw bottom flat so the rounded nut will come off. What a pain huh?

The idea was with some of these V-Mute examples was they would tighten the rounded screw super tight, and then they would hammer the end of the existing screw below that and flatten it or "mushroom" it if you will over the tight nut. The nut was made round so you would not be tempted to try to reverse the nut to service it. This would have caused the nut to stay in place and the peg's threads would strip and the arm would be ruined.

They figured this permanent mount would last forever and the nut would never come loose. Well, it kind of worked.

Although it never came loose, the thin piece of leather became a flat paper thin piece of leather after a good long time of pressure, and the arm swings loose. Making matters worse, there is no way to change it due to it's permanent mounting approach!! Well it lasted 40 years right? Who knew?

At any rate, in order to repair this issue and remove the round nut, you have to grind off the hammered screw end so it is flat down to the nut and the screw and they are both flat on the bottom ( dremel works ok). Then take some needle nose vise grips or pliers and reverse off the rounded nut counter clockwise.

You will still have just enough screw left to re-attach the nut when you install a new washer ( thin leather works best). My suggestion is to ditch the round nut and use a new standard nut that you can tighten with a small wrench. I have done this procedure several times with a good amount of success. Be sure not to over tighten the nut when re-attaching. The arm and screw is made of brass which is much softer than steel, and you can strip it if you tighten it too hard. Just make it nice and snug and the fresh leather washer will do the rest for years to come.

Good luck,

Bob

elisha wiesner

Postby elisha wiesner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm

That seems to be exactly what is going on here. I'll try grinding it down tomorrow. Thanks Bob.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:31 pm

You bet, no charge :D

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:07 am

(Reply to Bob):
Bob, my compliments on your excellent knowledge and 'how-to-fix', well written run-down on the trem arm issue.
[no folks, not what you're thinking...I already own a Hallmark 60 Custom guitar] :D

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 am

Sure, I have restored Mosrites and still do since the 70's and I think I have had to iron out just about every issue at one point or another. If anyone has a question, just ask. Happy to help.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”