Howdy from Chitown!

Zerofret

Howdy from Chitown!

Postby Zerofret » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Hello everyone!
Wow, I had no idea that there were so many people into Mosrites. Seems like I've found my home on the web!
At the moment I have 3 and a half Mosrites. A blue Ventures MkV, a green 66-67ish MkI a Celebrity III, and a MkVIII I'm building up from a body and a neck.

I guess the best story I have is how I got my first Mosrite, the MkV.
I've always had a "thing" for the Mosrite shape but I never thought i'd be able to own one due to their rarity and cost. However, I was always keeping an eye out for on just in case.
Back in the year 2000 (that sounds weird, doesn't it?) I was working in London for a month or so, and on my last day I had some time to kill. I mentioned to one of the locals I was working with that I was in a band, and he says to me "Y'know mate, you're staying 'round the corner from the top instrument shops in the country." Reeeeeally? Well, with an hour to kill I popped my head into Music Ground. A shop who's tagline is "The Supreme Court of Rock n' Roll" and they mean it. Within minutes they had my eyes spinning with all the strange and exotic gear crammed into the place. I had to get out of there! On my way out the door I asked if they had any US Mosrites, noticing they had a Japanese copy in the window.
The guy says they just got one in, and with that he takes me across the street to their annex, and there it is a 60's MkV ventures. It had badly checked blue paint, a bad replacement trem bar, and strings so rusty I was pretty sure somebody was gonna catch tetanus from them. Good thing love is blind.
Seeing as it was only 550 pounds, which was like about 850 in dollars I felt it was doable and since I was from out of the country they could drop it to 500 because they wouldn't charge me the VAT tax. So with 30 minutes before I had to be at Heathrow I was throwing down the plastic and signing away. Best impulse buy I've ever made.

Cheers,
Zerofret

Damon67

Re: Howdy from Chitown!

Postby Damon67 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Welcome Zero. I don't know about the rest of the hive here, but I'd love to see some pics.
My Guitars
Bellevue,WA

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:28 pm

What Damon said :mrgreen: !
Welcome Zerofret,
When you get a chance, I'd also like to see the 1/2 Mosrite U R talking about :shock: ....
No, all kidding aside, if you run into any problems, Dr. Mel will be able to assist you since
he just completed his, doing the same thing! LOL! CHEERS!
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Another great story. Welcome to the Mosrite forum and family. And yes we'd love to see pix.

Danny
Danny Ellison

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 am

lol, great story, thats how I felt before I finally invested in my V.II model!! Surprised you got out of the VAT though...good job!!!

Welcome..!
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:08 am

Welcome! There must be at least 3 or 4 of us from the Chicago area. Maybe we should start a local club.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:17 am

Mr. Bill wrote:Maybe we should start a local club.

.......or, maybe we should at least get some 'Mosrite Forum' Tee shirts made for the all of the community. :lol:

Any takers? ;)
Danny Ellison

Zerofret

Postby Zerofret » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm definitely getting some pics up asap!

T-shirts are a fine idea! My day job is as an art director for an ad agency and I illustrate on the side, so I could whip up something snazzy.

And yes, I think I'm gonna need help with that 1/2 Mosrite I've got parked. I've been slowly gathering parts and all I need now is the trem. (I know, it's the hardest part to find)
I might have to sand cast one...or ten.

--ZeroFret--

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:07 am

Danny wrote:
.......or, maybe we should at least get some 'Mosrite Forum' Tee shirts made up the all of the community. :lol:
Any takers? ;)

YEAH!!! Maybe with Dubtrub's Avatar :mrgreen: , and a 'Catch Phrase' or a ? underneath??

Our Sports Car Club I belong to have a few different T-Shirts out with Catch Phrases on them.
My favorite one is "OUR DRINKING TEAM Image HAS A RACING PROBLEM" :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Damon67

Postby Damon67 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:42 am

dubtrub wrote:
Mr. Bill wrote:Maybe we should start a local club.

.......or, maybe we should at least get some 'Mosrite Forum' Tee shirts made up for all of the community. :lol:

Any takers? ;)

Make mine a XXXl please!

I personally wouldn't mind a "Two heads are better than one" theme, but that's pretty selfish I s'pose
My Guitars
Bellevue,WA

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”