Nokie Edwards, a Ventures legend.

dubtrub
Administrator

Nokie Edwards, a Ventures legend.

Postby dubtrub » Sat May 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Although he played many guitars other than our beloved Mosrite's over his lifetime, he is responsible for putting Mosrite on the map.

:arrow: Nokie Edwards
Danny Ellison

Tommy W

Re: Nokie Edwards, a Ventures legend.

Postby Tommy W » Sat May 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Nokies one of my early guitar heros . I learned alot of guitar from him growing up listening to my Dads old Venture records while my friends were listening to heavy metal back in the 80s.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun May 11, 2008 7:17 am

Nokie has been my biggest guitar hero since 1960's when I started listening to The Ventures. I was very lucky to know him in person in the last few years and own some of his personal guitars. Currently he lives with his wife Judy in Oregon but thinking of moving to Arizona. He will soon become another desert surfer. :lol: One time he replied to a TV News Reporter during an interview: "Do I like surfing? Well, I can't even swim.." :mrgreen:

Nokie has used many types of guitars such as Telecaster, Mosrite, Tony Hunt, Carvin etc. and later switched to his own HitchHiker. For acoustics, Nokie used Santa Cruz, Taylors and others. The following are some of the personal guitars he has used.

http://www.timelineguitars.com/negt.html

Nokie has been in and out of The Ventures in the last 48 some years. But to most of the Ventures fans, he is always considered one of the original four along with Don Wilson, Bob Bogle and Mel Taylor, the drummer.

Nokie is 73 years old and still going strong with his own band called "The HitchHikers"

Nokie was interviewed by an Oregan TV Station on 4/18/08 after he and The Venture were inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYc2jbR7Os

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 11, 2008 8:16 am

That is an outstanding collection you have there Vincent and a great looking website. It must be fun for Nokie to come to your home and see your collection of 'his' guitars. What a great tribute to a guitar legend. Thanks for your personal insight with Nokie. One of these day's when you move to your other home in Vegas I'd like to come over and see you collection.
Danny
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun May 11, 2008 8:53 am

Thanks, Danny:

With the soft housing market, it looks like I will be stuck in Chicago for a while. Why dont you and Donna come to visit us in Chicago? I only have 2 guitars at my Vegas home.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 11, 2008 9:05 am

Desert Surfer wrote:Thanks, Danny:

With the soft housing market, it looks like I will be stuck in Chicago for a while. Why dont you and Donna come to visit us in Chicago?

Thanks Vincent, maybe someday. Currently we are unable to get away but for only a few hours at a time. I am still taking care of my 92 year old mother and my 11 year old cocker spaniel that has more health problems than my mother.

Danny
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun May 11, 2008 9:53 am

Vincent,
Thanks for sharing the "Nokie Interview!" I didn't even know this existed. Gee, it's nice to
have "Mosrite Related Enthusiasts" all involved on one Forum...It don't get no better than this! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks, Dennis.

Just visited your website. Love your Beatles' and Turtles' songs.

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Currently he lives with his wife Judy in Oregon but thinking of moving to Arizona. He will soon become another desert surfer.

I HEARD ABOUT THE POSSIBLE MOVE TO AZ... WHO KNOWS, MAYBE I CAN CATCH THE BREAK I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR REGARDING MY MOSRITE TUBE HEAD SER# 00007.

YOU KNOW IT'S A NICE DAY WHEN THE temp. IS LESS THAN 105 deg.

JSL LAVEEN AZ
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

88Mosriteman

Postby 88Mosriteman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks to all forum members for carrying the Mosrite torch around the world! And thanks for recognizing that Nokie Edwards put Mosrite on the map! Nokie is a true-blue creator of a lot of the greatest Mosrite-driven music of all time, and in the past 8 years (2000-2008) he has created some of the greatest albums of music of any musician-producer --ever! He's very dedicated to getting out to the world albums in all these fields: surf, pop, country, rockabilly, Christmas, gospel, light jazz...! Please check out all his creations and support the artist-direct labels that he is involved with. His personal work and music is accessed through his own website http://www.nokieedwards.com and the website of Greenhaw Records at http://www.artgreenhaw.com MERCHANDISE pages

Mosrite forever,
Nokie forever,

Return to “Links of Interest”