My first post

FATBABY

My first post

Postby FATBABY » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:23 am

This is my first post and my first experience with any type of internet forum. I have owned my Mosrite Ventures Mark V since 1970. I purchased the Mosrite used mainly because I am left handed and it could easily be strung upside down. It is a sunburst and the serial #B1503. I am now retired and trying to decide whether I should keep this guitar. I look forward to using this forum to learn more about the Mosrite and it's rich history.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: My first post

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 am

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see a photo of your guitar. I'll cast the first vote that you should keep it. ;)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:24 am

Welcome.
Jim

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:45 am

Welcome! A little warning for you...every time I even allow the thought to enter my head of selling a guitar, someone crosses my palm with silver :D , but invariably, I find that I am soon remorseful over the loss of an old friend... :cry: That being said, there are numerous people on this forum interested in collecting...
Olrocknroller

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum. What color is your MK V in? There were three or four factory finishes for the MK V. Blue, Sunburst, Red and also White, If you count the guitars under the earlier name it had. I'll give a little MK V history lesson.

The MK V was introduced in 1965 as The Ventures II to replace the earlier model of the same name. To avoid confusion, The earlier model is known as the "Mk II" Among other names. (The later Ventures II also has a few alternate names) The earlier MK II model is the type Johnny Ramone used. Finishes were available in the four colors mentioned above, Guitars finished in white tended to turn to a cream color. (Note: I've only seen the Ventures IIs in white/cream)

In 1966 Mosrite changed the guitar's name to the "Ventures Mark V" Model. This same year or the next year Mosrite changed the location of the truss rod adjustment from the body end of the neck to the headstock.

In 1967 or 1968 the Ventures contract ended and the model was then called the Mark V model. Also in about this time Mosrite changed the way the neck was attached to the body. Earlier models had a neck plate, These models used three or four ferrules depending on the time manufactured.

In 1968 or 1969 Mosrite lost their name and in about this time, 1968 to 1970, A small number of Mark V models were made under the name Gospel. These may have simply used leftover parts, Only with the Mosrite name painted over on the headstock with black paint and then the Gospel name.

After that, No MK V models were manufactured maybe except for custom orders. There have been no reissues to my knowledge except for a small number of Gospel reissues due to the connection with Nirvana.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:48 am

Welcome to the forum.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

Welcome, don't make a decision that may later turn out to be yet another 'regret story', like so many of us have, myself included ;)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 am

Welcome welcome. I can't imagine you possibly wanting to sell her after having owned her for over 4 decades :o . Now's the time to pick up that
guitar of yours and start playing! ;) Like Veenture had mentioned (Paul-we answer to real names too! :) ) , I too am a victim of a few guitars I
wished that I had never sold. It's VERY EASY to sell and watch them become 'history,' but once that's done, don't look back. But on a happier note,
Welcome to the Forum ;) ......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

FATBABY

thanks for the comments

Postby FATBABY » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:21 am

thank you to all the nice folks that have commented on my first post. Austin had asked about the color; it is sunburst; i have toyed with selling this guitar a couple of times over the years, but find that i am afraid that i will suffer from seller's remorse. my Ventures Mk V has a few scratches but it is in fairly good condition considering it has sat on a guitar stand for the last forty years; pretty much hung up my music career in the very early 70s. i have thought about having it reworked and am not sure as to whether this would add or take away from the value; it still sounds and plays great! anyone got an opinion on this?????

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:40 pm

A guitar can only be original once. Unless it's unplayable, leave it as it is. Guitars are worth far more in original condition, scuffs and all.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”