DIY Pickguard

MissionBrown

DIY Pickguard

Postby MissionBrown » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi,

I've got a few projects on the go that need custom guards, as they're for unusual shaped guitars and I'm not exactly flowing with money, I've decided to try doing it myself.

Are there any massive pitfalls to doing it with the Dremel router attachment, or should I get a dedicated router? Either option is cheaper than the local guys who charge a bundle to make them up. Also I'm in it for the experience.

One is a Kay SG copy with some crazy routing and the other is a mistreated Tokai Hummingbird.
Both need some serious TLC to get back into working order.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: DIY Pickguard

Postby olrocknroller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:58 pm

I've never had a lot of success with power-tools on pickguard material. I cut them to approximate size/shape, and use a half-round file to put the 45 degree slope on the edges, then a scraper to finish the job. It's slower, but I don't gum up my dremel bits with melted plastic... :cry:
Olrocknroller

MissionBrown

Postby MissionBrown » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Maybe I'll go an invest in a scraper instead of the dremel router attachment.
My pick guard stock is still in the post somewhere, so I have time to practice on old broken guards that I have at home.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

I found a scroll saw at a yard sale for $20, and that's been pretty good for cutting pickguards. Might be work checking craigslist for one. Not as nice as a router with a template, but better than freehand with a dremel.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MissionBrown

Postby MissionBrown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:07 am

I picked up a couple of items today.
Plunge router attachment for the Dremel, (I'm planning on some wood toys for my daughter :) ) and a coping saw.
Between the two I should be ok.

I also plan on trying out some faux german carve on and old plywood guitar that I've pretty much destroyed. :oops:
This one will only be good for slide.

MissionBrown

Postby MissionBrown » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I still haven't got to the hummingbird project as I'm working on my skills with the tools on other less important things.

I've had an idea that I'm not sure is worthwhile.

From what I can tell the body is a laminate, would it be worthwhile to rout part of the body out and fill the new cavity with a tone wood?

There's lots of space inside the guitar to add a center piece of a nicer timber, but I wonder if it would really do much if anything to improve the tone and sustain of the guitar.

Has anyone here experimented with this sort of thing before?

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:29 pm

With a coping saw and a piece of hacksaw that can act as a scraper you can do the job. A block with sandpaper works also great. Fine sand the edges wit 1500grit wet&dry and it looks great You can polish it nice and shiny with some scratch remover.

MissionBrown

Postby MissionBrown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

oigun wrote:With a coping saw and a piece of hacksaw that can act as a scraper you can do the job. A block with sandpaper works also great. Fine sand the edges wit 1500grit wet&dry and it looks great You can polish it nice and shiny with some scratch remover.

Got all that stuff. ;)
I'm just practicing on other things at the moment.
Also need to decide on what hardware to add. Am leaning toward a roller bridge & Hallmark vibrato, which will require a bit of carefully thought out design. :geek:

MissionBrown

Postby MissionBrown » Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 pm

This project has been on hold, due to other projects, family and weather.
I've ordered a Hallmark Tremolo and a Mosrite style bridge.
The guitar is going to get a full re-paint and scratch plate.
I plan to Mosritise this one as much as possible :)

I've found a Mosrite Japan toggle switch and need to find some knobs and tuners to finish the job.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed May 04, 2011 12:56 am

Sounds like a real fun challenge :)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”