Hallmark Deke vs Custom 60

beenawhile

Hallmark Deke vs Custom 60

Postby beenawhile » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 am

Happy New Year all :!:

I have been looking at the Custom 60 for quite a while and, just as I am about to pull the trigger, I decided to pay more attention to the Deke model and boy and I impressed with all of the youtube video out there featuring this guitar (including the great one by Deke himself on the Hallmark page).

While I am mostly looking for a surf / ventures type of guitar, I love all sorts of earlier guitar work (western swing, Travis, rockabilly, jazz, gypsy jazz, blues, etc). The Dickerson model seems to have the earlier styles covered to a T. I wonder if how it would compare to the Custom 60 for surf/ventures material (or conversely, how the C60 would handle the earlier styles). I am not looking to copy those tones from the original artists spot on - just wondering if the Deke would sound cool and lend itself to playing those tunes.

I have had a series of hollowbody guitars, but I always struggle with them when I play out due to the extra bulk. Seems like Deke's guitar does a nice job of putting a hollowbody tone and vibe into a solid body shape.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing how the neck radius and fret size compare. I believe the scale and the trem are the same.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Hallmark Deke vs Custom 60

Postby Veenture » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 pm

A lot depends on the pickups I would say; they're not the same on both the models, so you may have to end up buying both guitars to cover all the styles you mention ;)
But seriously (and I cannot look into your wallet of course) I think I'd go for a H60C -if it had to be only one of the two to choose from.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm

beenawhile wrote:Happy New Year all :!:

I have been looking at the Custom 60 for quite a while and, just as I am about to pull the trigger, I decided to pay more attention to the Deke model and boy and I impressed with all of the youtube video out there featuring this guitar (including the great one by Deke himself on the Hallmark page).

While I am mostly looking for a surf / ventures type of guitar, I love all sorts of earlier guitar work (western swing, Travis, rockabilly, jazz, gypsy jazz, blues, etc). The Dickerson model seems to have the earlier styles covered to a T. I wonder if how it would compare to the Custom 60 for surf/ventures material (or conversely, how the C60 would handle the earlier styles). I am not looking to copy those tones from the original artists spot on - just wondering if the Deke would sound cool and lend itself to playing those tunes.

I have had a series of hollowbody guitars, but I always struggle with them when I play out due to the extra bulk. Seems like Deke's guitar does a nice job of putting a hollowbody tone and vibe into a solid body shape.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing how the neck radius and fret size compare. I believe the scale and the trem are the same.

The pickups in the Deke are different from the pickups in the C60. The C60 is way hotter but you can get some great country tones from them. I play everything from 60's garage to country on my C60 without any problems.

I would say the C60 would be the most versatile of the two.

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:43 pm

The pickups on the Deke are around 6K where the Custom 60 is 13K but with a few ajustment to your amp you should be able to use it for any style you chose.I'ld go for the guitar you like the best.

beenawhile

Postby beenawhile » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for the insight - its really great to have experts out there!

Given that I have a great jazzmaster for surf and ventures territory (not to mention a strat), I can't decide. Get another guitar that covers the same ground as my current guitars - or something like the DD that might be good for other things, too. Or maybe as you all say, the c60 is more versatile.

You have probably all seen the great video of Deke demoing his guitar on the Hallmark webpage - he rips through a bunch of licks in a bunch of styles (including surf) and it sounds pretty convincing.

One thing that really surprises me is that there are a slew of youtubes featuring the DD but virtually nothing out there for the C60. I have got to think that the C60 sales greatly outnumber the DD. And whereas I can think of a bunch of surf/instro bands that use Mosrites (Satan's Pilgrims, Ghastly Ones, Ventures) there aren't many acts (at least in the states) that I know of that use the C60. Guess its hard to beat a real vintage Mosrite. That said, I have played the c60 in person a few times and really like it!

Maybe someone could point me to some more recorded tracks that feature the C60?

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 pm

beenawhile wrote:Thanks to everyone for the insight - its really great to have experts out there!

Given that I have a great jazzmaster for surf and ventures territory (not to mention a strat), I can't decide. Get another guitar that covers the same ground as my current guitars - or something like the DD that might be good for other things, too. Or maybe as you all say, the c60 is more versatile.

You have probably all seen the great video of Deke demoing his guitar on the Hallmark webpage - he rips through a bunch of licks in a bunch of styles (including surf) and it sounds pretty convincing.

One thing that really surprises me is that there are a slew of youtubes featuring the DD but virtually nothing out there for the C60. I have got to think that the C60 sales greatly outnumber the DD. And whereas I can think of a bunch of surf/instro bands that use Mosrites (Satan's Pilgrims, Ghastly Ones, Ventures) there aren't many acts (at least in the states) that I know of that use the C60. Guess its hard to beat a real vintage Mosrite. That said, I have played the c60 in person a few times and really like it!

Maybe someone could point me to some more recorded tracks that feature the C60?

I use one in my band. But I personally have not seen other bands with them either then I have not seen any bands that use Mosrites either. Probably because you can really only get them via mail order and are hard to find used because they are great.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

I own a 60 Custom, and I've played the Deke model--one of my students had one. The pickups are definitely hotter on the 60C--the Dickerson has more twang. The Dickerson is a bigger guitar, definitely thicker--the 60C is more comfortable to hold, but they're both fairly heavy. I actually prefer the neck on the Dickerson, as the neck on the 60C is a bit smaller (not nearly as small as a Mosrite neck. though.) They both play very well--the 60C has more of a Ventures/Mosrite sound, as you might expect, and the Dickerson gets that early-mid-'50's Joe Maphis tone pretty well--not as twangy as, say, a Tele, but brighter than a humbucker. The 60C is in between a humbucker and a single-coil--it actually reminds me of a '67 SG Standard I used to have. The Shade vibrato on both works well, and stays in tune reasonably well. Workmanship and finish on both is top-notch--you basically can't go wrong with either one. I'd have bought the Deke from my student, but he wanted as much for it as a new one would have been--I got the 60C instead. The cases are pretty heavy--be prepared to get a workout lugging one around!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 am

beenawhile wrote:its really great to have experts out there! One thing that really surprises me is that there are a slew of youtubes featuring the DD but virtually nothing out there for the C60. Maybe someone could point me to some more recorded tracks that feature the C60?

I'm no expert player but take a listen...

beenawhile

Postby beenawhile » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Veenture - I check out your recordings ALL the time! You are doing Hallmark and potential customers a BIG favor by having those out there.

The conclusion I draw from you recordings - and from playing the C60 first hand - is that there is not doubt that the guitar has a Ventures vibe. I am just a little less certain how it performs for rockabilly, etc.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:22 pm

beenawhile - to me it really sounds like what you're looking after is a vintage Joe Maphis Model 1 Mosrite! That'll give you a Ventures sound plus lot's of cool rockabilly-country tones. It is quite a bulky guitar though.

But if you really have set your mind on those great Hallmarks and want mainly rockabilly-country tones plus more trad. surf than 'Ventures surf' I'd go for the Deke.

Don't forget to check out the E.F Elliotts too. Ed can build and spec the guitar/pup's exactly the way you like it. I'm quite biased here of course.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”