Hello, I'm new!

notsosurf

Hello, I'm new!

Postby notsosurf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:29 am

Hi,

I'm Rob. I'm up here since I don't have a great knowledge of Mosrite styled guitars. I love the look but I worry they wouldn't be suited to what I do; I still dig them though!

I play in a few hardcore bands, not all out brootalz, that ain't my thing at all but I like a fairly wide range of music from Hip Hop, Woodie Guthrie, Robert Johnson (I have a RJ tattoo) right through to Hatebreed and Pantera.

I currently play a 90's Les Paul Custom. Cheery burst with Bareknuckle Pickups and a TP-6 Bridge.
I use a Sommatone Outlaw, a Soldano Avenger 100 (EL34) and I also built my own amplifier based around a JCM800/Colonial Heritage. (And intend to build more)

I'm on my quest for something distinctive in an instrument. A head turner!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Hello, I'm new!

Postby Veenture » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 am

Cool that you can build your own amplifier Rob. 8-) Keep searching the forum to gain more Mosrite knowledge; there's a ton of it crammed together, right here :shock:
Man, ever since Semie Moseley came up with what today goes by the name of "THE VENTURES MODEL MOSRITE" it straight away started turning heads...and still does, ever since and not just because of it's looks...the sound is very exciting! Welcome to the forum.

notsosurf

Postby notsosurf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:21 pm

well... so far I learned the 'limited mosrite ranger' i found is actually a sunburst fillmore mark IV. so that is handy to know... dunno what that should be worth in £'s.

I feel kind of bad for wanting a mosrite with humbuckers and a stop tail.... I love it to have the figuring of a proper old mosrite... but I wouldn't want to buy a nice example (mosrite, univox, etc) and hack into it. At the same time, i don't want to be taken for a ride by a shop selling what would appear to be the cross breed i was after!

I'm used to playing my les paul custom and the neck on that is perfect for me, so im hoping the mark IV neck will be as comfortable.
I'm going to have to play it.

yes! building an amp is big achievement for me. I've been learning as I go. I used to mod stuff of my own, then did some stuff for friends, now I've built a whole amp, and it's not from a kit! I had a lot of help from some great local tech's though.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi Rob, welcome aboard. This is the place to be for all that is Mosrite. They are a much more versatile guitar than most think. They will cover Rock , country . blues and even some jazz. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

notsosurf

Postby notsosurf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm

cheers!
I hope so! my problem is I'm stuck in a mindset where I need a low noise floor going into and out of my amp (or any amp I use). I don't really have space for multiple guitars for different sounds but If I had a mosrite, I'd want to gig it, and I feel like I can trust 'buckers more.

I'm already thinking about putting some 4 conductor bareknuckle pickups into an ...of classics mkIV and using coil taps. maybe even a fender TBX style tone control. who knows. maybe get a spare pickguard routed to do it, and get new electronics. I;m thinking aloud... probably in the wrong forum...

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Rob. You'll get a lot of versatility out of Mosrites. I play Rockabilly, Classic Rock, Country and even Blues on mine.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

rog43win
Top Producer

Postby rog43win » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:58 pm

hello Rob........welcome to the forum! As has already been said, there is stacks of information here in the forum......check out the archived posts and comments......
The Hallmark Custom 60 is a Mosrite clone, and you can play anything on it.....from rock to jazz and blues....the sound is incredible, and it's easy playing.....and it looks gorgeous, too....
Good luck in your quest....... :)

Roger

wombat
Valued Member

Postby wombat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Rob;
I also have an LP Custom. I bought it in 1981.
You mentioned something about being stuck in a mindset.

I am asking you to please don't be fooled into pigeon-holing guitars. If you have a nice professional guitar, you (if you can overcome any mental blocks) can play ALL TYPES of music on it.

I do play all types of music. I have many different guitars, and there is not a single one of them that isn't suitable for a certain type of music. They all play whatever I want them to!

BE FREE!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Rob. You came to the right place if you want information about Mosrite guitars.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Good to have you here! If you've gotta have humbuckers, Mosrite did make some, in the 70's I believe. Ed Elliott is reproducing them too viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3359

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”