New member from Ohio

Gunhedd

New member from Ohio

Postby Gunhedd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50 am

GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS,

Found this forum hoping to locate parts to restore my bass. I have a '68 Ventures bass that my Dad bought for me from a friend of his around 1984. Honestly, I was disappointed at the time. (I wanted a NEW bass, not this chipped up, blue hunk of whatever it was... Whaddaya expect? I was 15 at the time.)

Anyway, I've gone through a number of guitars over the years but always held on to the Mosrite. Over the years I neglected it and never really took care of it. Didn't abuse it. Just never used it. Well, over the years, through the umpteen moves and relocations I managed to lose the bridge, nut and pickup cover. You can say it, "I was a moron." Now I'm 41 and I want to get it back into playable condition.

The nut is easy enough. I know a good luthier here in Akron that does all the warranty service for Gibson in the northeast Ohio area. I showed him the guitar and he has aluminum stock and said he could cut a new nut pretty easily. The pickup cover would be nice to have just to complete the package but it's the bridge that's presented itself as the real headache. I can't locate parts anywhere. But someday, she'll be back. And ready to kick it!!
;)

- Paul

Gunhedd

Re: New member from Ohio

Postby Gunhedd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 am

Here's a pic of the bass in question...

Of course, it's the blue one...

(Learned it's probably a good idea to keep the strings on.)

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 am

Welcome Paul and wishing you good luck getting that bad blue boy working again 8-)
I'm sure you'll be getting some positive responses from folks here on the forum who have the parts you need or at least can give some advise on getting 'em. I've seen some pickup covers on ebay quite regularly but I'm not sure if all the covers Semie made were identical :?

Gunhedd

Postby Gunhedd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry. I was looking at the pic and I just realized I said "pickup cover." I meant bridge cover. Been a while since I saw it but it was simply a chromed piece of bent steel. Could probably get one custom made for less that $50.00 US. (If I had the specs/dimensions for it, that is...)

- Paul

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Nice looking guitars. It looks like your bass still has the black plastic pickup cover on it. Are you referring to the nickel plated bridge cover? A complete bridge assembly is going to be hard to come by unless you find someone parting one out. Best bet is to check eBay Mosrite listings or place a notice in the wanted section of the forum classifieds.

Mosrite guitars and basses don't have 'nuts'. They use a zero fret which the strings ride on and a half round nickel plated brass string guide. Don't let you tech try to install an aluminum nut as it will change the intonation.

For miscellaneous parts you could also contact Ed Elliott or Bakeoboy. Both are members of the forum.
Danny Ellison

Gunhedd

Postby Gunhedd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

You're right. There is a zero fret. (Gotta get my terminology down...) It's the string guide. The way it was tarnished, it looked like aluminum. But since it's not there anymore, I just assumed it was. Nickel-plated brass sounds right though. It'd look identical and since I never removed/handled it I had no sense of its mass. Of course that'd make it a little more difficult to replicate since it's not just aluminum bar stock. (Can't be easy can it?)

No. no pickup cover. I realized my mistake. i meant the bridge cover. The pickup and all electronics are intact. It's the bridge assembly and the bridge cover I would need.

Cheers,
Paul

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Here's another option. You might ask Oigun to make the parts you need. He's located in Netherland. Check out his bass build. He is building virtually all the parts from scratch.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3240
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Welcome to the Forum Paul. Not knowing what the neck plate looks like, but usually a one pick-up with no truss rod
cover on the headstock and cloverleaf tuners indicates either a '64 or '65 Bass you have there in your possession ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

rog43win
Top Producer

Postby rog43win » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:54 pm

welcome to the forum Paul.....nice looking basses you have there.....thanks for the photos....good luck in fixing her up.......

Roger

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking bass and with the resources here I bet you'll have it back together in no time.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”