New to Mosrite with a bit of a story :)

Dillon

New to Mosrite with a bit of a story :)

Postby Dillon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Well, not necessarily all that new. I've always loved Mosrite guitars and done research on them from time to time as I've considered buying one, but could never quite afford it. I've also played many copies (Eastwood, Univox, Aria, etc.) But I've never even laid eyes on a real one...until yesterday. I was in Guitar Center and to my astonishment, there was a real Mosrite hanging from the wall. In the "special" room, ya know...the one with a ton of ridiculously overpriced reproduction guitars (mostly Music Man and Fender / Gibson custom shop stuff). I had to play it.

The thing was INCREDIBLE. None of the copies I've played even come close to this. It's extremely well made, not a flaw to be found, and in great shape overall. Beautiful candy red finish. Thin and fast neck, with a butter smooth vibrato that blows Bigsby and Jaguar / Jazzmaster trems out of the water. (I've owned both and would take this any day.) Plugged into a Deluxe Reverb, it's basically the stuff of wet dreams for surf rock lovers like me. I would have bought it on the spot, but I already have several guitars that fill this niche, and figured I'd better do some research before doing something so impulsive.

So, here's where it gets interesting. Looking at the hang tag, it said it was made in 1993. Then I noticed the headstock. This is a "The Nokie" model. I seem to recall reading that "Nokie" models had two levels...one with a flat top, no binding, and non-adjustable pickups; then another with the German carve, neck binding, adjustable pickups, and coil split switches. I've also read that all "Nokie" models were set neck. This guitar seems to be a mutt of both...it has the bound neck and carved top, but non-adjustable pickups, and no coil split switches. Also, it's a bolt neck, not a set neck.

I went back today to more closely inspect it (really wanted to take pictures and check the serial number), but the room was locked and I couldn't find anyone to open it for me. I'll be going back again soon to try again. Anyway, what do you guys think of this? They're asking $1200, is it worth it? I know vintage Venture / Mark series guitars go for much more, but seeing as how this one is kind of "different", I don't know what to think of it. And I literally can't find anything similar for sale. I really like it anyway, and want to buy it if it's worth it...it's a fantastic player and not quite like anything I've ever played. Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Here's an awful cell phone pic. Will get better ones ASAP.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: New to Mosrite with a bit of a story :)

Postby 101Volts » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Nokie models so I'll leave this to the experts here but I've never heard of pickups that weren't adjustable. Do you mean it doesn't have any individual pole pieces? I see it has smooth pickup covers, I'd imagine you'd be able to adjust the pickups like on a Fender guitar but not be able to adjust any pole pieces.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Welcome, Dillon.

There were two Nokie Models: an earlier 63 style in sparkle blueburst with a set neck and body binding, and a later bolt-on verson with a completely different body carve and no binding. You are looking at the latter. At $1200 it's a steal. Depending on condition, etc, the thing could be worth double that.

Best of luck,
Adam

Dillon

Postby Dillon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks! That's pretty much what I needed to know. I have never seen another Mosrite with a maple board so this one is particularly interesting to me. It's in great shape. I will try and post more detailed pictures tonight.

101Volts wrote:Welcome to the forum, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Nokie models so I'll leave this to the experts here but I've never heard of pickups that weren't adjustable. Do you mean it doesn't have any individual pole pieces? I see it has smooth pickup covers, I'd imagine you'd be able to adjust the pickups like on a Fender guitar but not be able to adjust any pole pieces.

Austin

Well, I would assume that it means smooth covers and non-adjustable pole-pieces like Fender guitars have, but those weren't my words...just what I recall reading in a thread on here about Nokie models. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that thread. I'm perfectly fine with it anyway...I love the look of the smooth covers.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Come to think of it, now I can't remember the chronology of which Nokie model came first, set neck or bolt-on. Can anyone remember? Now I'm thinking the bolt-on version first came out around 1989 and the set neck version in 1992?

EDIT: Yep, 1992 on the Nokie 30th Anniversary Model.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've never seen a Nokie model in person, but that's a cool looking guitar with unusual features.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey, welcome Dillon. You must be exited now that you're aiming for that unusual red Nokie model with Maple neck :shock:
Hope you get her ;)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Welcome, Dilllon. I love my Nokie "PartsRite" I put together - one of the best playing guitars I own - If I could have gotten this for $1200, I wouldn't have left the store without it - Go for it, man! Just don't know if the 1993 is accurate. Semie was gone by that time - unless someone else was making these.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome Dillon ;) ......

GattonFan wrote:Welcome, Dilllon. I love my Nokie "PartsRite" I put together - one of the best playing guitars I own - If I could have gotten this for $1200, I wouldn't have left the store without it - Go for it, man! Just don't know if the 1993 is accurate. Semie was gone by that time - unless someone else was making these.
Dennis
Actually, Loretta did not close the Factory Doors until late '93-early '94...... ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Dillon

Postby Dillon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes! Here are a couple more pictures of the important bits, in my excitement I forgot to get a full shot of the guitar. Serial number is 90043, which according to this page indicates a Nokie model, from 1989. I'm not sure how accurate that is though, because it also says "1 of 3" (presumably this should be 1 of 300) and "signed by Semie", which this one clearly is not. Another unusual thing, the truss rod cover is engraved with JEG, and there is a sticker on the back that says the same thing, any idea what this means (if anything)? It almost looks like a previous owner did that. I'm leaning more and more towards buying it. Given how rare this apparently is, I hope none of you guys snatch it up before I can get to it! :lol:

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. This guitar has Grover tuners...think that's original?

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”