Hallmark Inquiries

fishyfish235

Hallmark Inquiries

Postby fishyfish235 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Background:
Hello there. My 13 year old son had been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years by now. When he first began, I bought him a Yamaha Pacifica (not gonna go into all the details) because I didn't want to get him a Fender and whatnot. He's gotten pretty good since he first began. He enjoys playing Ventures music and can play along with their music without making a single mistake. He managed to find out that the Ventures played Mosrites. He was reasonable not to ask me to buy him a $4000 Mosrite so he began looking for high quality clones and he happened upon the Hallmark 60 Custom. He asked me about buying him a Hallmark because he thinks that $1000 is more reasonable that $4000+, and so do I. He's also read that most, if not all, Hallmark 60 Custom owners had good things to say about the Hallmark.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should know before I buy it for him. I know that 2 1/2 years is not that much experience but I can already tell that he's getting better and better.

I just want to know about any issues, if any at all, and how well it compares to a Mosrite and other Mosrite clones. Is the feel and sound of the Hallmark identical to a Mosrite?

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Hallmark Inquiries

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 pm

I do not own one but I would in a heartbeat. Actually, it is on my "to get" list. Everything I've read indicates it is hands down the best value for your money. Neither of you will be disappointed. :D
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

eltuce
Top Producer

Postby eltuce » Fri May 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Several pages about 'em here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1863&hilit=hallmark+owners+corner

I own 3 and love 'em for what it's worth.

fishyfish235

Postby fishyfish235 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:58 pm

I see, thanks for the help. Is there any technical stuff that I will need to worry about like string gauge and other things?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri May 07, 2010 4:37 pm

fishyfish235 wrote:My 13 year old son...//...happened upon the Hallmark 60 Custom. He asked me about buying him a Hallmark because he thinks that $1000 is more reasonable that $4000+, and so do I. He's also read that most, if not all, Hallmark 60 Custom owners had good things to say about the Hallmark.

Is the feel and sound of the Hallmark identical to a Mosrite?
I wouldn't say identical but more than sufficiently close to my ears. Your 13 year old is a bright and sensible boy; I'd say he deserves a Hallmark 60 Custom -a good bang for the buck too! :D
About any possible issues...I'd suggest tackle them if- and when they appear. Just ask; we're all here to help each other. The set-up on mine was perfect upon arrival and I wouldn't change the string gauge immediately if there isn't really a good reason to do so. Good luck!

rog43win
Top Producer

Postby rog43win » Fri May 07, 2010 5:18 pm

welcome to the forum, Fishyfish......your son sounds alot like mine when he was about 13 or so....he practiced for hours upon end...playing heavy metal, which wasn't my favorite thing to listen to. But in just a few short years, he was quite good...now, at age 28, he is the best metal player I have ever seen in person.....you must be a good dad to help your son out like this.
His love for guitar is obvious, and he still has that first guitar we got him, plus the first guitar he learned on..........I have a couple guitars, and used to own a Mosrite and wish I still had it, but because of the cost of them, I have a Hallmark custom 60 on my list of things to get when I can.
They are gorgeous, reasonably priced, and from all the testimonies I haven't heard one negative thing.....all seem to rave about them........any chance we can get to hear your son play in a clip? ......best of luck!

Roger

fishyfish235

Postby fishyfish235 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome Roger. And I can tell our sons had a lot of similarities. My son, too, practices for hours but he plays the Ventures.

I would love to post up a clip or two of him playing, but since he doesn't have a full band should I just play a Ventures recording in the background while he plays his part?

rog43win
Top Producer

Postby rog43win » Fri May 07, 2010 8:11 pm

yes, by all means, let him play with the Ventures recording........it would be great to see/hear him play!
Now my son and I play some Venture tunes also......I love it.....

Roger

ZacJM
Top Producer

Postby ZacJM » Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 pm

fishyfish235 wrote:Thanks for the welcome Roger. And I can tell our sons had a lot of similarities. My son, too, practices for hours but he plays the Ventures.

I would love to post up a clip or two of him playing, but since he doesn't have a full band should I just play a Ventures recording in the background while he plays his part?

Use backing tracks, I use them in all my videos, some are made by me by removing the lead off midis and some are Japanese Karoke tracks I got from friends in Japan. Have a look at my videos, any song I do I have a backing track too. Send me a request and I may have a track for it(heads up though, if its a Ventures Japan fav I may not have it, most of the midis I convert to bts are typically American favs):
http://www.youtube.com/zac360turn

Here are some tracks I don't have yet posted on YT:
I Feel Fine
Runaway
A Taste of Honey(not the same as the one I use on YT)
Besame Mucho
Out of Limits
Lullaby of the Leaves
The Cruel Sea

Also if you want to know how I make my backing tracks, send me a pm and I can walk you through my process.
http://www.youtube.com/zacmoritz

Main instruments:
Wilson Bros. VM-100 Bogle Model
Reissue Epiphone Willshire
Marshall Mosfet 100 Reverb amp
Green Russian Fuzz Box
Cordovox Super V
Golden Cup Chromatic B-System

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:39 am

A Hallmark is about as close to a real Mosrite as you can get. I for one prefer it ,its much more user friendly( the neck is 1 5/8" X 3/4" and the frets are slightly taller) and it has the sound and looks. Bob(Hallmark) is great to work with and your son can get the finish he wants.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”