HI there and a question on my japanese mosrite

paulscape

HI there and a question on my japanese mosrite

Postby paulscape » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi there - 1st post. I have always wanted a mosrite or mosrite clone since watching an australian band called Tumbleweed during my university years, who used to play old mosrites and jaguars/jazzmasters. I finally picked up a nice old japanese copy, probably from the 70's, the other week for $25! I scored both the Aria ProII LP and the Mosrite for $50 in total and the LP came with a nice case!

If anyone out there knows what brand and likely year this is I would be very grateful. I have searched the internet and the closest to it I found is the Guyatone as it came with black speckled pickguard and a similar mahogany neck, although my neck has a slightly different truss rod cover to what ive seen and instead of a serial number on the back it has simply 'made in japan'. I also need to get hold of a new bridge - I am hoping a jaguar bridge will work...it needs to be slightly smaller than a standard LP bridge. If anyone knows where I can get a bridge that would also be great!

Thanks and glad to be here! Paul

My mosrite

Guyatone mosrite

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: HI there and a question on my japanese mosrite

Postby 101Volts » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:24 am

Welcome to the forum. I would say your Mo copy is a Univox but it doesn't have a german carve and it has an odd bridge. I really don't know about the 60s and 70s Mo Mk I copies, Someone else may be able to chime in with a better reply. Do I see the zero fret missing from your Mo copy though? Nice LP copy, By the way...

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 am

101Volts wrote:Welcome to the forum. I would say your Mo copy is a Univox but it doesn't have a german carve and it has an odd bridge. I really don't know about the 60s and 70s Mo Mk I copies, Someone else may be able to chime in with a better reply. Do I see the zero fret missing from your Mo copy though? Nice LP copy, By the way...

Austin

The LP needs some electronnic work and pickups but other than that it plays great. Looked like it had sat in a cupboard for 30 years. I didnt even need t adjust the action. Just restrung it. Amazing. At first I thought it might be a univox or aria but they all seem to have the 3 way selector near the volume and tone pots. My one is closer to the horn like original mosrites. The body is flat with rounded edges, there's no carve or groove. The zero fret is there, just hard to see. The other clue to it being a Guyatone is there is a faint remanent of what could be a 'G' in the headstock.

Some more detailed pics:

Cheers

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 am

Here is 2 Guyatone mosrite headstocks. On mine very faintly it looks like there's some remanent glue from where the logo was originally stuck on??? Hmmmmm. The only difference I can see is the truss rod cover but maybe they changed over years or it was replaced by a former owner.

mine:

The guitar needs some work but Im looking forward to it all!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:06 am

Welcome to the Forum 'China' ;)
They're building an awful lot of guitars in China these days...are you perhaps involved in any way? :)

Anyway, enjoy the forum and I have to say your presentation of your guitars, the photographs and your 'forensic' work is excellent and most interesting!

[edit] BTW, judging from the grain pattern in the wood, it looks like your Mosrite copy's body is shaped from one piece!

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:27 am

Veenture wrote:Welcome to the Forum 'China' ;)
They're building an awful lot of guitars in China these days...are you perhaps involved in any way? :)

Anyway, enjoy the forum and I have to say your presentation of your guitars, the photographs and your 'forensic' work is excellent and most interesting!

[edit] BTW, judging from the grain pattern in the wood, it looks like your Mosrite copy's body is shaped from one piece!

Hey there - Im an australian living in shanghai but not involved in making any guitars haha, although I have bought some great guitars here almost all of them US or Japanese imports - US guitars like Fender and Gibson are about the same price as they are in the US so A LOT cheaper than australia. It's really rare to find old vintage guitars though - I picked these up from a tiny shop run by a japanese guy. He occasionally gets in old Tokai's and the like so I want to ask him to keep an eye out for any other old japanese guitars. I don't know where he gets them from but because china's market is flooded with either brand new import guitars or cheap local guitars it makes it an interesting find. I've seen one or two chinese Mosrite copies in shanghai - but finding this old gem for a rediculous price is just awesome and I love the sunburst and black pick-guard! Its worn in all the right places.

It's 1 piece body and 1 piece neck. The body looks like Ash but could also be Alder I guess.

Cheers

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:32 am

Here's the rest of my guitar and amp collection. I have a '74 fender dual showman reverb back in australia too.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

That's quite an interesting collection Paul, do you still need to ship 'em back home? I guess you're making the most of your stay in China ;)

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

Welcome to the forum. Great collection of gear!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:24 am

Very nice equipment. Welcome.
Jim

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”