cophagus

Postby cophagus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:36 am

Hi! I am 30 years old and I'm from England. I am a hardcore instrumental fan - I like the whole spectrum of instro music from 50's to modern times (shame The Beatles had to take instro music out of the mainstream - did you know that they hung out with The Shadows in the 1960's and they even encouraged them to play more vocals - Paul McC had originaly composed "Here, there and eveywhere" for The Shadows!!). My favorite band is The Ventures! I am not one of those fans who only like a small era of them - I like the Bob Bogle/Nokie Edwards/Gerry McGee eras all the same. I think they spoil us with giving us such a variety of different sounds, styles and versatility through the years, instead the same thing from the start to the present (like Hank Marvin and Duane Eddy who I like, but they sound/style never really changes). The Ventures have the perfect balance between sophistication/technical skill and being melodic. A lot of guitarists seem to show off with fancy technique which is great but there is not much melody in their tunes. Chet Atkins also has the balance of extreme technical skill and very melodic. Another thing I like about The Ventures is that they are amazing musicans/composers and they seem to have reached a creative peak in the early 70's with a string of very emotional tunes - some of which became No 1 hits in Japan. I love the compositions on Mel Taylor's solo Lp's as well as Nokie's 1971 Again! album. Yuzo Kayama is fantastic - I think I have all of his eleki except "The Crow" - I love his use of the lever on the Mosrite (ie. vibrato bar etc) on his tunes. Takeshi Terauchi is amazing as well (very prolific!). There is a certain magic about the Mosrite guitar and I am always interested in finding out more trivia about the Mosrite and Semie Mosely. I don't own a Mosrite - but I plan to get one in the future. At the moment I play an Epiphone Les Paul copy and a classical guitar - I am concentrating on become a better guitarist before I branch out with other guitars and effects etc. I also like to play fingerstyle as well. I am still a bedroom guitarist but I want to form a band one day.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: New Member

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:54 am

Welcome, Cophagus. You'll find all sorts of Mosrite information here. Here's a bti to add to your Mosrite knowledge right now: Semie Moseley was a tall man. He was 6 foot 5 or so and had big hands. And he designed his Mosrite necks (In the 60s, At least) To be small so I don't see why I can't adjust to a Mosrite neck. I'm used to a Gibson copy guitar I play now but I'm sure I could adjust.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

cophagus

Postby cophagus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Thank you 101Volts. I've heard about those necks - Don Wilson did not like them and Semie refused to make him one with a wider neck. I've got thin small to medium hands and occasionally I've got problems of touching other strings that I don't want to touch. I would still want a Mosrite though!! Even if I did not feel comfortable with the neck it would be my ultimate collectors guitar. Semie was 6ft5!! How tall is Nokie - I heard that he is quite tall as well.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great introduction!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Welcome to the forum ... IMHO I don't think that small neck is a problem for those of us with small to medium hands - I love the feel of those speed frets. . They really do play like butter ... So at your earliest opportunity - grab a Mosrite, or one of the modern reissues or spinoffs. You won't regret it.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Welcome from another Ventures & Mosrite fan -could you tell?! :D
Some of the original Ventures members are well into their seventies now; good to know that they're still attracting young fans! I suppose that's proof of how captivating their music is.
I enjoyed reading your intro and review. Yes, the Ventures are very versatile; I love almost all of their tunes and sounds, especially the '63-'65 Mosrite era.
I'm a die hard Shadows fan also and I fully agree with you what you said about their music staying the same (sound). I'm particularly fond of their early (instrumental) stuff.
Enjoy your stay cophagus and lots of success in your Mosrite quest ;)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Welcome aboard ;) ........
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”