New to Mosrite/Forum

Plasticlegs

New to Mosrite/Forum

Postby Plasticlegs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Hello!

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am new to this forum and only recently acquired a Mark I copy. I've been reading posts on this forum for about a month now and I've come to the conclusion that this is the most comprehensive source of information about Mosrite guitars available anywhere on the internet. Through the common fondness and exchange of resources and knowledge, members seem to kind of police and maintain a living and active presence of Mosrite on the web.

Well, here is a little bit about myself. My name is Sean and I play guitar off and on as a hobby. Years ago I played in few local bands of no importance. My main guitar was a Fender Stratocaster. I eventually got annoyed by the placement of the volume knob on the Strat, always bumping it when I palm muted, so I transitioned to the Telecaster.

I just purchased a Mosrite Mark I copy off ebay and I haven't put it down since. You may have seen the listing, it's the one with the pickups that were rewound using wooden bobbins and alnico magnets (they sound huge!). It's been my experience that Fender is a guitar you have to dig into to play properly. When I first held the Mosrite, I was literally pounding the strings on the fretboard. It was lightning fast, smooth and really easy to play. I'm trying to adapt to the "touch and go" playing technique since I can attain the same raunchy grooves with much less effort and I don't want to wear these frets out! :oops:

This guitar is so much fun to play!

Take care,

Sean

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: New to Mosrite/Forum

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey Sean,

Glad to see you finally made on the forum. That is a beautiful guitar and I can't say enough about that amp. Wow! If it's all original it looks fantastic. If it's be recovered, it looks fantastic. BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Welcome here Sean; what a terrific setup you have there! A super classic 'drool' picture and interesting intro too.
Yes, that Strat volume knob...I wrote something about the same thing a while back ---> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1456

Good to hear that you find the Mosrite's narrower neck easy to play, especially when you're used to playing Fender necks.
I'm adapting to playing my Hallmark 60 Custom's neck after years of attacking Stratocasters :)

Keep on enjoying the Forum,

Paul

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Sean,
Welcome to the forum? Beautiful axe/amp, BTW.

Cheers!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sean.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Plasticlegs

Postby Plasticlegs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow! Thanks for the friendly welcoming!

Danny, It's been recovered. I've always liked these old blonde piggybacks. Until I have the power transformer replaced, it'll just be a nice prop to look at or photograph guitars next to. Thanks again!

Paul, I considered removing a tone pot, dropping the volume pot down one and filing the old volume hole. It seemed easiest to just sell the Strat and get a Tele. I agree with your advise about filing the string saddles. I've rubbed the saddles with pencil lead to smooth them and relax some of the tension that causes Strat string breakage. I think Fenders require a little aggression to play from solid note to solid note. ;)

Take care,

Sean

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Sean. I think you'll like it here. :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome, Sean. That's a great looking Mo' you got there, Nice Fender amp too! FYI, Semie Moseley was a pretty big guy and he designed those Mosrite necks to be so small... Food for thought! It may take some time to get used to a Mosrite neck but once you do look out!

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Welcome, Sean. Great looking amp and guitar combo. I'm kicking around eBay looking for one of those Bassman Tens ... If I can get one without breaking the bank. Good to have you here.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Welcome Sean ;) .....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”