Nurr

Postby Nurr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 am

Hello all...thank for let me join this forum.i just got a very old mosrite guitar don't no what model and i am trying to revive it back.can somebody gimme suggestion or idea how to do that.Thanks in advance... :) below me attach some of the picture.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: new member

Postby Veenture » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:23 am

Fantastic find! Where did you get her, did you have to pay a lot?

Welcome to the Forum Nurr and thanks already for posting pictures! Please tell us a little about yourself like where you are from (Philippines?), also it's always interesting to know how someone came to buy a Mosrite guitar :o ... ;)

It looks like it is a mid-sixties "The Ventures Model" Mosrite with a lot of history. Without the Ventures endorsement it's also known as a "Mark I" (still has the slanted neck pickup).
The Mosrite decal on the headstock is almost completely removed and perhaps under that sticker (?) it still reads "The Ventures model" (somebody wanting to avoid an endorsement issue perhaps)? The volume- and tone knobs are not original; most probably Fender. The sunburst finish on the body seems to have survived very well! The tremolo arm is missing but perhaps a Hallmark arm could be a good replacement. Also the toggle switch seems to be broken. The high E string bridge-saddle-acorn-nut is missing too. Are the pickups working OK? - how do they sound? One more question; is there a serial number punched into the fretboard near the last fret at the neck? That might help put a date on her.

I'm not a guitar technician but I'm sure some of the members here will start getting itchy fingers wanting to restore her when they see this baby but they will certainly chime in and help you with advice, where to get parts etc.

Congratulations, I'm jealous ;)

Paul

IguanaKahuna

Postby IguanaKahuna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 am

woooowww :o amazing guitar !

Wellcome to the forum.

You can start cleaning all parts very carefully to determine his state.

Greetings

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:49 am

Welcome.
Jim

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, a good cleaning would be a great place to start so you can really assess things. The serail number would definately help in identification. A lot of the members here are very knowledgeable on these guitars and can help you locate the parts you need, including the headstock decal.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum.

That rusted rocker base would indicate an early Mosrite clone from Japan. USA mader rockers were cast of soft metals such as aluminum, brass and sometimes other soft alloys. Those metals won't rust. Also the the three ply pickguard isn't layered right, meaning all three are the same thickness. The white on the top layer of an early American made Mosrite was about as thich as the other two layers combined.

Does your guitar have a a square metal neck plate on the back securing the neck to the body? If it does, that would indicate a Japanese made by Firstman. It is a cool guitar regardless of maker.
Danny Ellison

johnnyboy1234

Postby johnnyboy1234 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Very nice Japanese copy..(no "of California).as said before if the neck plate is square w/ a teardrop at the bottom..Firstman...I owned a copy non firstman...weighed a ton...still a nice guitar
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1984 Gibson Les Paul
1985 Fender Telecaster
1992 Gibson Les Paul

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 pm

These late 60s-early 70s MIJ copies are very good guitars. I have a couple, and they stack up well against other clones ... and you can get a replacement trem arm from Hallmark

Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Welcome to the forum. Looks like your guitar could benefit from a cleaning and a good setup... Any idea what gauge of strings you're going to put on it? Light gauge strings are generally recommended for Mosrite guitars, I'm not sure about the Japanese copies.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. I agree, it's a Japanese guitar, and a very nice looking one at that. A little clean up and some spare parts from Hallmark and you'll have a screamer!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”