Mosrite Combo Clone

Frenchy

Mosrite Combo Clone

Postby Frenchy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 am

Hello,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me determine the origin of this guitar. This is a nice clone of a 1964-65 Mosrite Combo guitar under the brand name of Mansfield.

Here is all the info that I have so far:

This is a late 60's early 70's Mansfield guitar copy of a Mosrite 1964-65 Combo Semi-Hollow guitar. Mansfield is a Montreal Distributor that contracted Fujigen (builder of Japan Ibanez) for a full line of guitar and Basses in the late 60's and 70's.... All my other Mansfield are the exact same as the Ibanez offerings of that period. Not this one......

This guitar is the exact duplicate of the Mosrite Combo in all aspect... Hardware is a little different, bridge, tuners.... I've never seen an Ibanez, Aria, Univox or other this close.... Actually, never seen a Combo clone/copy before :!:

Has any one ever seen these type of tuners before?

Hoping someone has more information! This is a killer guitar....

Tia,

Pierre :D

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite Combo Clone

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Pierre,
I believe that's actually a 'Firstman.' A lot of Companies had their own 'brand name' put on their guitars from a Manufacturer,
which is an old practice that goes way back.....for example: Harmony Guitars had their own brand, but they also made the
same models and would put the brand name on for the other company. In this case, the Company that Harmony made
them for was Sears Roebuck, and their brand name? "Silvertone" and when Harmony made them for Montgomery Ward,
their guitars were known as "Airline"...... ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Sorry I can't help Pierre, but your combo guitar is certainly very interesting. I have not heard of a Mansfield copy of a Mosrite before; we learn here all the time :shock: Indeed a copy of a Mosrite combo seems to be rare in itself! Hopefully someone on the Forum knows more on the subject.

Ah, I see Dennisthe Menace has already chimed in... ;)

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:57 pm

I concur with Dennis that this is most likely a Firstman instrument. All of these I have seen in the past have had the "Minister" moniker on them, and as that "Mansfield" decal looks like it may have been affixed later, I wouldn't be surprised if it does read something else underneath.

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:I believe that's actually a 'Firstman.

Thank you for the promp response Dennisthe Menace. Funny enough, the person who sold me this guitar had just finished selling a Firstman violin bass. I missed the bass since I did not react fast enough. I knew nothing of Firstman as a product. I have several Mansfield instruments and was under the impression that this was a Fujigen instrument. I also posted on other boards to find more info and someone mentioned that those tuners were also found on a Teisco Spectrum 5. From what I can gather, this was a high end model from teisco.

I read that Firstman was a company comprised of former Teisco employee's, is that correct?

Firstman beacame Mosrite of Japan, is that correct?

dorkrockrecords wrote:that "Mansfield" decal looks like it may have been affixed later, I wouldn't be surprised if it does read something else underneath.

The early Mansfield have badges on the headstock, if lost or removed, the instrument can pass as an unbadged Ibanez... 2 small pins hold the badge in place, I'm tempted to remove it just to see....

Veenture wrote:a copy of a Mosrite combo seems to be rare in itself!

Is there a Firstman Combo that was available later on?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn. Is there something I can look at or add to help out? The bridge pickup was replaced but I still have the original. the previous owner told me it was dead and I havent verified if I might be able to fix it.The nut was also replaced. Will pictures of the interior help?

Thank you for the great help.

Pierre :D

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:15 pm

make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Pierre, check this out.....
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1967&start=0&hilit=combo
Pierre, check this out..... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1967&start=0&hilit=combo

Holy.....! That's my guitar!.....

Hard to see but I swear it has the same tuners as mine also...

Thank you Dennis for posting this... I will send him an email...

Pierre

pigihangeev

Postby pigihangeev » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Frenchy, I think your guitar is very close to mine, look:

pigihangeev

Postby pigihangeev » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey Frenchy, I talked about your topic in my introduction as well. Here is an other pix, as you can see our guitar is very similar but little different in colour maybe, just like
our cats (his name is Marietto btw)

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi Piergiorgio!

Thank you for posting pictures. I emailed the Ebay seller twice and got no reply!

I enjoyed your web site, cool music. I like your taste in guitars very much. My cats allways seem to be in pictures... I have 2, you saw Magik but his big brother Simba was sitting in my chair as always.... :roll:

All I can say is you have one heck of a nice Mosrite! ;) :lol: I am just happy to get some background information on it. The fact that you have the same tuners and all just makes it easier to know for certain. I am enjoying mine but the original bridge pup was replaced.... The neck pup sounds great, not the new bridge pup.... Will be taking a look at changing them or getting the original brige rewound.... so far, I love this guitar. I can not beleive I found this here under this brand name...

If you have more pictures, please post!

Pierre

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”