howdy and thank you!

nategibson

howdy and thank you!

Postby nategibson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:29 am

howdy there good mosrite forum! i have been playing a joe maphis mosrite for several years but have been looking for a mosrite 300 or mosrite 350 for about as long... i checked the mosrite forum a couple days ago... someone posted a link to a stereo 350 (i have since been unable to find said link) in texas and i immediately called and bought it. to whomever called attention to this beauty, many thanks!! i can't wait to get it in the mail and pick out some country ditties on my mosrite tele!
as far as info about me, i've been playing honky tonk and rockabilly with my band, nate gibson and the gashouse gang, for about eight years. we do three different maphis instrumentals and i love the mosrite sound in our country context... i am presently a grad student at indiana university and have been working on a project to tell the story of mosrite records (i have a book on starday records coming out on university of mississippi press in the next year). i'm excited to be here at the forum and look forward to a healthy dialogue about all things mosrite!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: howdy and thank you!

Postby 101Volts » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:45 am

Welcome, Nate! Sounds like you've got a good band going on and you've got some good Mosrite guitars too. What are your opinions of the 350? Oh and I've seen a Mosrite Record on eBay, It was titled "Queen For A Day" I can't recall the name of the singer though. How long were Mosrite Records around?

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:45 am

...sounds good! Welcome aboard... :)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:47 am

Very interesting Info Nate. Welcome to the Mosrite Community ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:58 am

Welcome to the forum, Nate!
So many guitars; So little time ..

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome to the Mosrite Clearing House, info and gear readily available right here!!!! 8-)
Click on logo to visit website

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:41 pm

101Volts wrote:Welcome, Nate! Sounds like you've got a good band going on and you've got some good Mosrite guitars too. What are your opinions of the 350? Oh and I've seen a Mosrite Record on eBay, It was titled "Queen For A Day" I can't recall the name of the singer though. How long were Mosrite Records around?

Austin

That would be Barbara Mandrel. Yep, I'm a country geek too!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey Nate, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll share info about Mosrite Records. I love to know more about that subject!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

nategibson

Postby nategibson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:49 pm

thank you all for the kind welcome! tis warming and fuzzy like! i am particularly interested in the mosrite clearing house, as thunderhead calls it, though this could be dangerous for a grad school student with empty pockets as it is...

as for the mosrite tele, i will let you (101volts and anyone else interested) know once i get it... there is a review of one on youtube that cracks me up... the guy is talking about its features and when he gets to the two input jacks and stereo function he can't even keep a straight face-- too funny! another website, the popular tymguitars site, makes several mentions to how ugly the 350s are... i on the other hand find them quite attractive... i was looking for a stop tailpiece... had considered one of the '62 tele reissues, but a mosrite... oh man, so much better... a surprisingly unheralded guitar... i have often associated the bakersfield sound with the tele and mosrite guitars... and yet the combination of the two seems to be so unpopular and i can't fathom why... perhaps it was that odd stereo feature i could do without... ah well, i will let you know how it plays when i get it...

as for mosrite records, it is simply fascinating! 1966-68. 17 singles, 3 LPs. amazing, yet hard to find bakersfield country classics from the short-lived enterprise of andy and semie moseley! i am currently interviewing artists from the era, completing a complete discography/sessionography and writing liner notes for a pending reissue of the mosrite material. contracts have not been finalized and the project is still in its early infancy, so more details will have to wait. i can say, however, that i am most excited to know taht this amazing music will see the light of day on CD! and yes, 'queen for a day' was barbara mandrell's 2nd record... a truly amazing recording by the then 17 year old. glen campbell is backing on dobro... if you want to see something amazing, check out barbara's version of kentucky means paradise on youtube. it was cut one year after her mosrite record and gives you an idea of her prowess at that point... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1T0vGP2DEk ... she's playing a fender, but it's still rockin' as all get out! she, of course, later played mosrites and even has that mosrite crutch guitar that semie made for her... it is certainly heart warming to see a mosrite picker go into the country music hall of fame!

as i say, thank you so kindly for the welcome. i look forward to contributing what i can to the group... even more so, learning all that i can from this diverse group of well-informed mosrite pickers!

nategibson

Postby nategibson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:54 pm

in response to:
"it is certainly heart warming to see a mosrite picker go into the country music hall of fame!"

i suppose i should have said, "see ANOTHER mosrite picker go into the country music hall of fame," so as not to exclude Buck Owens and Glen Campbell (though Campbell has more recently switched his allegiances, I still cherish the Gentle On My Mind era with the Mosrite 12-string on the cover).

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”