Nokie's HitchHiker guitar

Veenture
Master Contributor

Nokie's HitchHiker guitar

Postby Veenture » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:19 am

This quote comes from Danny's (dubtrub) thread on Nokie Edwards that I didn't want to sidetrack from so I started this one up just in case anyone else feels like adding to it.
Haole Jim wrote:Thank you for the Nokie link.

A true guitar hero, a major force in melodic guitar over 5 decades, wow!

Anyone have any expeience with or thoughts on Nokie's solidbody Hitchiker guitar? It sure is pretty.

A fair amount of info on Nokie’s HitchHiker guitar can be found on page 359 of the Ventures Book. You can find the link to the online version in my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1404&p=13138&hilit=ventures+book#p13138

Chemo
Top Producer

Re: Nokie's HitchHiker guitar

Postby Chemo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Nokie plays the Hitchhiker throughout the Nokie Edwards with AdVenture - Live at Sunhouse dvd. It seems to be sold out, but I can highly recommend it if you can find a copy somewhere.

This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:21 pm

I agree with you Chemo, I myself was also at that very performance which was without any doubt fabulous; all the players were professional and highly motivated and it shows...and the people who were taping the concert did a really fine job.

wstagner

Postby wstagner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 pm

I have 2 HitchHiker guitars. An original from the Fender/Jackson custom shop serial 0004 and the latest one from Aria serial 0015.

I'll be glad to answer questions that anyone might have about the guitars.

The CD/DVD mentioned in this thread are well-worth locating. They represent some of Nokie's finest work in recent memory.

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 am

Veenture wrote:I myself was also at that very performance

Oh wow, that must have been one of those "shows of a lifetime"! :)

wstagner wrote:I have 2 HitchHiker guitars.

I'll be glad to answer questions that anyone might have about the guitars.

How do they compare to a Mosrite Mark I? Is the neck very narrow too, and is the sound similar? Are there many differences between the two models that you have?

Nokie's sound on that dvd (and cd, most likely) is very very clean, almost acousticlike. Of course this depends a whole lot on the other equipment he used... Anyway, beautiful guitars!

wstagner

Postby wstagner » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:38 am

How do they compare to a Mosrite Mark I?
Not many similarities in my opinion.

Is the neck very narrow too,
The neck is considerably wider than a Mosrite, wider than a Hallmark. More like a Fender strat/tele I'd say.

and is the sound similar?
Similar to Mosrite? If you saw or heard that Netherlands concert with Nokie that provides a good idea of the sound. Nokie prefers a more mellow sound and that's what the Seymour Duncan pickups he uses provide....even with the guitar tone control wide open.

Are there many differences between the two models that you have?

1)Aria has a soft V neck. Earlier one is a C-neck.

2)Aria has Nokie's newest/improved bridge. Earlier one has the "improved" 1st generation bridge that Nokie installed for me himself. 1st bridge the 6th string constantly slipped out of the string guide and caused some owners to break strings. Improved bridge fixed this.

3)Aria case has HitchHiker logo on it, case "candy" such as instructions on how to use the switches (Japanese of course), and allen wrench.

Sonically the guitars sound the same to me. Feel is different because of the necks. Real question is which guitar is worth more? Word is that the guitar is gonna be repriced over 3k.

Nokie's sound on that dvd (and cd, most likely) is very very clean, almost acousticlike. Of course this depends a whole lot on the other equipment he used... Anyway, beautiful guitars!

Yah, he might be using the Marble amp on that DVD since it's made over there. I have to tell ya tho, whenever I hear him play he always sounds the same tonewise.

Keep the questions comin'.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:30 am

Chemo wrote:Nokie's sound on that dvd (and cd, most likely) is very very clean, almost acousticlike. Of course this depends a whole lot on the other equipment he used... Anyway, beautiful guitars!
If I'm not mistaken Nokie played his HitchHiker through The Nokie Edwards Signature Marble Amp (both in the studio and at the live performance).
As an aside, some of the noise and sounds coming from part of the audience was loud and raucous and inappropriate making me feel somewhat embarrassed. It was one of those unavoidable circumstances where you have a bunch of beer drinking regulars who attend any and every concert using it as a background to their 'amusement'….ugh! :x
Nokie btw paid zero attention to them and continued his performance in an undisturbed manner with his amp cranked up loud enough to drown out these boozers :mrgreen:

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks guys.

I figured from the dvd that the HitchHikers cannot be really really close to Mosrite in sound or in some other aspects, like the fretboard. Just couldn't be sure since I've never tried or even seen one. But they seem to be very nice instruments indeed just being themselves =)

wstagner

Postby wstagner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Here's a link to a recent Nokie interview where the man himself discusses the Hitch: http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2009 ... wards.aspx

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi Danny.

Thanks for posting this thread. I have played a number of HitchHikers, and noticed variances in one of the older models that probably was the reason for that manufacturer to no longer be making them. I doubt that this particular guitar will ever be offered for sale. Nokie is very proud of his creation, and I'm certain he would not approve a guitar for sale if he saw any defect in it. Nokie is the salt of the earth, and has become a good friend in the few years I have known him. I make guitars as a hobby, so probably see things the average player would miss completely.

The Aria-built prototype which I bought from Nokie is superb in every way. It is one of his personal guitars, which he has played on stage, and for the recording of the last Ventures album in Japan. I wish I could build them half this good. This guitar plays so smoothly that I find myself forgetting that I have to do anything at all...the action is super low, and the frets are just high enough so that bending is still fairly easy. The neck is a subtle "D" shape, and the fretboard is wider than I remember Mos'ies being. The pickups are medium output, producing a smooth sound, and significant "growl" on the lower notes. The guitar is heavy, but like Nokie, I sit to play, so it's not a problem for me.

I am anxious to receive the second guitar I ordered, because that one will be a duplicate of he guitar he plays on stage. If you want to see the Aria website for the HitchHiker, it is http://shop.ariaguitars.co.jp/shopbrand/087/O/

I hope this information contributes to everyone's knowledge of the brand.

olrocknroller
Olrocknroller

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”