Mosrite humbuckers

moaimen

Mosrite humbuckers

Postby moaimen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:50 am

There is some discussion of this on the Gospel guitar thread and while I don't usually mind tangents I thought I would give this it's own thread.
My only experience with mosrite humbuckers is with the exposed pole type on the two Bluesbenders I've owned. If indeed there are mosrite humbuckers with the smooth covers, (non-exposed polpieces), is there a way to tell that they are humbuckers by looking at them?
Or what other way to tell the smooth cover single coils from the dual coils?

EF@MosriteRecords
Valued Member

Re: Mosrite humbuckers

Postby EF@MosriteRecords » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:53 am

Moaimen: I will look into your question about Humbuckers. I have several smooth
cover pick-ups. I have seen such items years ago at Jonas Ridge. However I cannot remember if they were installed on a guitar. While I was working at Andys last year
I dealt with Humbuckers. Most of the ones I have seen were evenly divided between
Black ones and White ones. The ratio between Singe Coils and Humbuckers right now I cannot tell you. But I will research it. Luv Elaine
Click on logo to visit website

moaimen

Postby moaimen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks EF.
Here is my "spare", it reads 19K ohms. The ones in the bluesbender I have now read 18.5K and 18.9K

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 pm

woah, thats cool, all of mine mosrite humbuckers read much lower, 5.25-5.85k

btw, thank you so much Elaine for your insight and stories, glad you have joined the forum. hope to hear more from you. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:00 pm

oipunkguy wrote:woah, thats cool, all of mine mosrite humbuckers read much lower, 5.25-5.85k

btw, thank you so much Elaine for your insight and stories, glad you have joined the forum. hope to hear more from you. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WOAH is right....I have never seen Mosrite Humbuckers reading that low :shock: .
The Mo's Humbuckers that are on my guitars are reading anywhere between 16-18K plus.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

EF@MosriteRecords
Valued Member

Postby EF@MosriteRecords » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi you all. I have yet to pull out my Humbucker's. Just got in from a Sat. Nite gig.
Single coils on average run from high 8Kohms to little over 10Kohm. Ohms law says
Single resistance in series you add. Parallel resistance you divide when you only are dealing with 2 coils. The 19+K could mean the two coils are in series:Exp: Two coils with a resistance greater than 9.5K or there abouts in some combination. The coils in your example
reading in excess of 5K could indicate two coils that are wired in parallel. Of the dozens
of coils I spec' at Andy's last year (I kept records of everything I touched) I Initialed
every thing I repaired or rebuilt including finished parts and instruments. I found this very same thing in that some coils were in series and some in parallel. Not having a history
of the coils life since they were wound it's all speculation as to what changes any went
through in their life. I am well aware that some coils can read way out of these average's
because of values that were CUSTOM wound for what ever reason. I have some in the 11-16K range (go figure).for a single coil.!Pic' is of Thom Bresh, Myself and Nokie Edwards. Luv to all, Elaine
Image,

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:41 am

WOAH is right....I have never seen Mosrite Humbuckers reading that low :shock: .
The Mo's Humbuckers that are on my guitars are reading anywhere between 16-18K plus.

all of my mosrite humbuckers are low like this. according to tym of tym's guitars this was common. i'd love to hear an high out put mosrite humbucker, but I have really fallen in love with the tone of these pickups as well.
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

moaimen

Postby moaimen » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:03 pm

I wish I was near Nashville so I could come out to one of your gigs Elaine. Your input on this forum is really great.
oipunkguy, Do your humbuckers have five wires, (one ground and two from each coil), like mine pictured? If that is the case, I'd bet that for whatever reason they are wired in parallel instead of series and that is why they read so low. There is nothing wrong with that and wired that way they sound very similiar to the traditional mosrite single coils but don't hum nearly as much. With the five wires you can easily switch between the different options.

EF@MosriteRecords
Valued Member

Postby EF@MosriteRecords » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:32 pm

That would be my guess. Each coil start & finish of winding plus Gnd connection = 3 wires, high / low each coil plus ground also would let you do polarity reversal for out of phase option each pickup or between 2 or 3 seperate pickups. Anyone out there with another idea? Just ran across this picture. I'am playing one of the JM-65 phototypes Semie made for me which were lighter than the standard JM-65's. Semie installed a fiddle tailpiece (blonde) on the guitar neck behind the Vibrado. This guitar was sold to Buddy several years ago. I do not know who has it now. I am playing here with Susan Raye for a show in So. Calif. This was a very different JM-65 than the ones Semie intended to be standard. Elaine

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:43 am

I wish I was near Nashville so I could come out to one of your gigs Elaine. Your input on this forum is really great.
oipunkguy, Do your humbuckers have five wires, (one ground and two from each coil), like mine pictured? If that is the case, I'd bet that for whatever reason they are wired in parallel instead of series and that is why they read so low. There is nothing wrong with that and wired that way they sound very similiar to the traditional mosrite single coils but don't hum nearly as much. With the five wires you can easily switch between the different options.

hey yeah all of my mosrite humbuckers have the 5 wires. 2 white (hot) 2 black (ground) and the bare ground wire. although I'd love to know how would I wire these pickups to get that higher k reading.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”