hello hi

Surfguitar

hello hi

Postby Surfguitar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Hello mosrite forum!

I'm from Austria and I like all those surfguitars! I have an Fender Jaguar (Japan), a Aria Global (copy?), an Eastwood Hi-Flyer and an old Arbiter SG!
I have no money for a real Mosrite, so I'm looking for a Univox Hi-Flier (or Flyer). I don't like my Eastwood one :? (P'90s, fat neck, heavy, FEEDBACK, etc.)
I heard that the Univox one is light, good neck and groovy to play.

I hope I can get a real Mosrite 8-)

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: hello hi

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Yep Mosrites are expensive, even the current reissues made in Japan. Keep a lookout on eBay. Sometimes one of the early 70s Japanese Mosrite copies by Firstman appears for a decent price. At least they have the correct body and headstock shape along with the Mosrite logo on it. You can always upgrade to Elliott pickups and a few other parts to make them a fine playing guitar.

Have you thought about a Hallmark Custom 60? Check the search feature here on the forum. They can be had for under a thousand dollars US.
Danny Ellison

Surfguitar

Postby Surfguitar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:14 pm

The Hallmark Custom 60 looks cool in sunburst :mrgreen:
I'm going to get at first a univox phase 3 sunburst or a phase 1 custom and than I'll safe my money for a cheap Mosrite.
mhhh.. maybe I can put on a mosrite neck and new pickups on the univox hi flyer. Is there a different size between the necks?
Looking for a Univox Hi-Flier!!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Hello and welcome Surfguitar. Like Danny said, The Hallmark 60 Custom may be a good option for you. It is very close to the real Mosrite. I bought a lovely sunburst via their website http://hallmarkguitars.com/instruments/ ... custom.htm and the total cost amounted to EURO 909,26 -including shipping, insurance and import duties and a crocodile hardshell case! :o

Oh, and it arrived on my doorstep within 6 days!!

Surfguitar

Postby Surfguitar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Veenture wrote:Hello and welcome Surfguitar. Like Danny said, The Hallmark 60 Custom may be a good option for you. It is very close to the real Mosrite. I bought a lovely sunburst via their website http://hallmarkguitars.com/instruments/ ... custom.htm and the total cost amounted to EURO 909,26 -including shipping, insurance and import duties and a crocodile hardshell case! :o

How does it sound (clean and distortion)? I actually don't like the P'90s, prefere humbucker ;)
I have bad experiences with P'90s :|

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forum! FYI, the Univox guitars share little with Mosrites besides the general body shape. The Hallmarks are faithful reproductions of Mosrites with a few modern upgrades (waxed pickups, slightly wider neck).
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Surfguitar wrote:
Veenture wrote:Hello and welcome Surfguitar. Like Danny said, The Hallmark 60 Custom may be a good
option for you. It is very close to the real Mosrite. I bought a lovely sunburst via their
website http://hallmarkguitars.com/instruments/ ... custom.htm and the total cost
amounted to EURO 909,26 -including shipping, insurance and import duties and a
crocodile hardshell case! :o

How does it sound (clean and distortion)? I actually don't like the P'90s, prefere humbucker ;)
I have bad experiences with P'90s :|

Welcome Surfguitar,
The Hallmark Family does have the Humbucking Pickups
available if you prefer those over the Single Coil Setup ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Surfguitar wrote:How does it sound (clean and distortion)? I actually don't like the P'90s, prefere humbucker ;) I have bad experiences with P'90s :|
Sound is always a matter of personal taste and I have no experience with humbuckers but I love the Hallmark's sound because of the Ventures playing Mosrites during the mid sixties. It's quite a different animal than my Fender '57 reissue USA Strat (always been playing Fenders) and you need to keep the volume (on the guitar) in check because the pups are powerful. Love the sound of my Hallmark, especially with the tone switch in the mid position for both pickups going. The other members have given you some valuable pointers Surfguitar, ...'take heed' ;)
One of my wishes still is to one day own a guitar (preferably a Mosrite) with a pair of humbuckers because of that wonderfully flavoured natural distortion you get from them. Like Danny, I LOVE the blues too (music, that is :mrgreen: )

Viel Glück!

Surfguitar

Postby Surfguitar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:17 am

Thank you all!
This is a very good forum! I'm going to safe my money for a Hallmark (with humbucker ;) )
I got today a new bridge and a new humbucker for my old Arbiter SG :mrgreen:
This guitar is 35-40 years old :o

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your search!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”