Diving in with a New Mosrite Of California SM

Knuppler

Diving in with a New Mosrite Of California SM

Postby Knuppler » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:01 am

Hi all. Just hopped onto this great forum, and thought I'd show off my pride and joy. I don't see a serial number on the final fret, so wondered if anyone knew how to date it or realise its place in a production run? Maybe it's a prototype? I swapped off the knobs because I could never tell what number the Volume pot was on the silver Mosrite knobs. Plus I actually prefer these knobs. Kind of like the Sansui/Travis Bean ones. Turned aluminium. Also I had an accident when the strap knob popped out mid-gig and the guitar fell to the floor and the plastic input jackplate got shattered as the TRS lead crashed through it on impact. So I made myself a new one out of aluminium - see pic. Also stuck a rawl plug in the strap button screwhole so it's nice and tight and won't be giving me anymore grief on stage.
BTW if anyone out there has another one of these they want to sell, let me know and I'll take it off your hands.
Enjoy!

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Diving in with a New Mosrite Of California SM

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 am

Welcome! This thread may be of some interest to you:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1046&p=9539

To the best of my knowledge, the prototype SM is actually white with a tortoise guard and it reads "Semie Moseley" on the headstock instead of The New Mosrite of California (hence the SM model). And it's in Japan. However, I'm pretty sure the run of these guitars actually completed was so short that serial number or no serial number is pretty meaningless, production-wise. EFElliott did have a hand in slapping these bad boys together though, so if there's anyone who'd know, it's Eddy.

Also, mosey on over to the INTRODUCTION section and as Faith No More say - introduce yourself.

Adam

Knuppler

Postby Knuppler » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 am

Cheers for that Adam,

I actually spoke with Mosriteforever a few years ago, asking him for his SM. Recently I emailed him again to see if he'd changed his mind...sadly no. But he told me about this great forum and that he'd posted up his pix. I've just been a little slow in getting around to getting mine up.

Just been to the Intro page and dropped a mail and said hello.

take it easy,
K

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:40 am

Hey, welcome Knuppler, great pictures BTW, thanks for posting.
My eyes lit up as soon as I saw the headstock of your instrument with the "NEW" decal! We don't see many of those around.
I see you are quite handy too at fixin' your guitar; great job replacing the broken plastic input jackplate with an aluminium one and also I like the way you modify your guitar to get it more to your liking! :P

Now I shan't be keeping you from getting on with composing... ;)

PS your avatar looks quite intriguing...

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm sorry but I am clueless about your guitar. It looks like a Bluesbender but it seems different. Somebody please educate me about it, I don't think I have ever seen or heard about it before.
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Very interesting guitar. More details please! I've never seen one of these before. :P
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:55 pm

I doubt that this guitar is a mosrite,it looks like a knockoff made by eddy elliott to sell at the swap meet.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 pm

bakeoboy wrote:I doubt that this guitar is a mosrite,it looks like a knockoff made by eddy elliott to sell at the swap meet.

Ouch! :shock:
Danny Ellison

Knuppler

Postby Knuppler » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:30 am

I doubt that this guitar is a mosrite,it looks like a knockoff made by eddy elliott to sell at the swap meet.

Now now, no need to get jealous.

If this is a 'knock-off' then is the whole 'SM New Mosrite' guitar range considered to be knock-off swap-meet material? Or just the one I own?
If so they missed a trick because this is the best guitar I've ever played and I've played 100's. It makes everything else play like a warped Hondo. I also think, in my humble opinion, it's one of the coolest looking Mosrites made. No frills or fancies. A simple and beautiful design. Plays smoother than butter melting on the sun.

Also, not being down on the entire Mosrtie History, but does a true Mosrite have to have been through the hands of Semie Moseley? Who is Eddy Elliott? Is he known as someone who made 'knock-off' Mosrites? Or is he the Mastermind behind the SM range?

Anyway, if anyone else on the forum has more info on this guitar, or the SM range - 'Knock-Off' or 'Real', build years, who made/designed them, wood choices, colours, anything would be great to know.

Mine also came with the metal Mosrite string nut, but I found it a little narrow so I swapped it out for a graphite one. Works a charm.

50% Juice.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:51 am

Knuppler wrote:Who is Eddy Elliott? Is he known as someone who made 'knock-off' Mosrites? Or is he the Mastermind behind the SM range?

Apparently someone hasn't been reading the forum. ;)

Click on Ed Elliott below. There's a ton of information about Ed Elliott all over this website. Click on the search feature above and type in Elliott.

1. Ed Elliott

2. Ed Elliott

3. Ed Elliott
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”