Greetings from a fellow Thunderhead!

ChazDaSpaz

Greetings from a fellow Thunderhead!

Postby ChazDaSpaz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Greetings from the bass player of The Thunderheads (east Tennessee's ONLY Surf-Rock Band). I've been a huge Mosrite fan, since The Ventures In Space hit the record bin at the Big K in Kingsport, Tennessee in 1964. One look at that sexy guitar on the back of the album cover and I was hopelessly in love! Hands down, the Mosrite is the most beautiful guitar ever made.
I'm the proud owner of 2 matching (early) 1966 sunburst Ventures-signature models -- guitar and bass. I bought the guitar in the mid-seventies from the original owner who rarely played it. I purchased the bass 3 years ago from a private collector in California, I cleaned it up - adjusted the neck - slapped on a fresh set of Thomastik Jazz Flats - and it sounds like a million bucks.
I have 4 Warwick Thumbs (a bleached blonde 4-string / a bleached blonde 5-string /1 bolt-on /and a Jack Bruce Signature Model), a '65 Precision, and a '68 Telecaster. But, I've never owned ANYTHING that sounds like my single hi-fi pickup Mosrite bass. It's very unique. It's a cross between a Hofner and a '52 Precision. Very thick, clean low-end tone.

Thanks for a great website / forum!!

Charlie ChazDaSpaz Aesque

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Greetings from a fellow Thunderhead!

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Welcome and glad to see another Thunderhead member on the forum. You guy's sound great. Plus you have great taste in instruments. ;)
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Welcome Charlie to the Family.... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Charlie!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 am

Welcome to the Forum, Chaz! Great looking pair of Mos you have there. And I totally agree - no more aesthetically beautiful guitar ever designed and assembled than that Ventures model. Ever notice that when someone attempts a copy, and changes anything on it - tailpiece, pickup style, headstock, etc - it just doesn't look as good? Enjoy your stay with us here ...
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:12 am

Chaz,
Welcome! Good to have you and Billy here. Like GattonFan, I agree that the Ventures model is one of the finest looking electric guitars ever designed.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:39 am

The two friends in the picture are the nicest guitars ever Charlie, welcome to the Forum you lucky owner. I second what the other guys already have said.

BTW I can't help but notice that the bridge cover on your bass has shifted a tad (too much) towards the pickguard ending up resting on top of it. Maybe the original screw holes are knackered?

Man, that guitar and bass look brand new!!! :shock:

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:46 am

Hello Fellow ThunderHead!!!! Great forum Here, I'm having a ball!!!! I heard back from the son of the Jonas Ridge employee and we are getting together Friday {07/10/09}to do a trade. He has one more NOS Set-Neck Side-Jack Ventures and One re-finned Bolt Neck Signed by Semie. I'll keep you posted!!!! We need a photo of all our Mosrites on the web page and on the forum, Later - BC
http://www.myspace.com/thethunderheads
Click on logo to visit website

ChazDaSpaz

Postby ChazDaSpaz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Veenture wrote:BTW I can't help but notice that the bridge cover on your bass has shifted a tad (too much) towards the pickguard ending up resting on top of it. Maybe the original screw holes are knackered?

No, the bridge cover is not shifted / it isn't sitting on top of the pickguard, there's a factory cutout on the pickguard (it's flush with the body). I've seen this on several '66 Mosrite basses and I'm not sure why. I assume it's because Semie was retooling for the double-pickup bass to become the 1966 standard (replacing the single pickup model - which become an option that year).

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Chaz! I'd love to learn more about Mosrite basses. My roommate is learning bass and already looking toward what kind of higher end bass she'd like to buy. So far she's settled on a few that she likes the sound of. A 60's Hofner, Ric 4001, or a Zon. I've never heard a Mosrite bass so I don't have a clue how they sound. Any input you'd have to share would be wonderful. Have you ever played a Celebrity bass? I wonder how the two models compare.

Sarah
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”