New

71model

New

Postby 71model » Thu May 07, 2009 9:57 am

Hi, I enjoy different forums such as The Gear Page and The Amp Garage, the Telecaster Forum etc. I'm from South Louisiana.
I have a 1966-7 Mosrite Ventures Moseley tremolo. It's a actually a friend of mine, her husband passed away, so I'm going to sell it for her(I already have too many guitars). This guitar is cool, it's like a dark blue color.

I'm looking to replace the pots, somehow they got seized up. I don't know which ones to get and if it matters about the brand name.

Take Care!
Jamie

handbrake
Top Producer

Re: New

Postby handbrake » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Jamie,
Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the guitar--if you're going to sell it, many people would prefer that you don't go to the trouble of switching out the pots.

The forum has a classified section, too. Some member may take the guitar off your hands as-is.

Cheers from Alaska!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 am

Welcome to the Mosrite Forum, Jamie! And yes, Many people would prefer the ir vintage instruments to be 100% original even if it means the guitar not functioning properly. Personally, I wouldn't mind if I replaced them myself. If you do decide to replace the pots then make sure to include the originals with the guitar when you sell it.

Also, Do you know the guitar's serial numbers? There should be one imprinted high on the neck and there should be one on the body in the neck cavity. But before you check, Make sure to detune the strings a LOT (And then some!) and remove the neck pickup before you try and loosen the neck screws! Not doing so could result in damage to your friend's guitar :shock:
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 am

Welcome, Jamie. And IMHO, I wouldn't remove the neck if you're planning on selling the guitar - too much risk of cracking or chipping the finish. These kind of jobs are better left to someone who's had experience in doing it, and even then, they sometimes can botch it. Just sell it as-is ... Again, welcome to the forum.

Dennis

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As the others have mentioned do not replace the pots until you have at least tried contact cleaner. Radio Shack sells a cleaner and lubricant that is OK, but I find the best to restore old seized up potentiometers is Deoxit. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am

Hey Jamie, welcome to this forum! I see you've already been offered a good deal of advice and tips about the '66/67 Mosrite you have in your care. Wow, can a person have too many guitars?! :lol: Good luck selling it and maybe someone here or close to the forum will become the new owner indeed.

Let me take a guess... "71model" ...a 1971 Fender Telecaster?....(there are a good many Fender fans here too you know, I'm one myself) ;)

71model

Postby 71model » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi, Thanks for all of the friendly responses!
I was wanting to replace the pots because it won't play. I would like to see my friend get a fair price for the guitar cause she is not working. Her husband was one of my best friends that passed on about 2yrs ago.

The SN is in the 0380 area, can't exactly remember, pretty close. According to a Mosrite site, it nailed it to a late 66-early 67.

I appreciate the advice on not changing the pots, still undecided.

71model, I got that from my other buddy that used to be on TheGearPage, he was 59model, born in 1959. If you're in the mood to hear some of the music he made check out myspace.com/petebogash, I built that page in memory of him. He did all of the guitar work on them songs and mastered the recordings!!

Thanks Again!
Jamie

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu May 07, 2009 4:09 pm

http://www.myspace.com/petebogash
Hey Jamie, I just listened and like the sounds there. Professional stuff for sure...good voice and backing, makes me think of "YES" too (among others) :)
Sad to hear that Pete Bogash has passed on, much to early of course. (I'm from 1944 and still kicking but no guitar from that year!) Pete left some good music, appreciate you sharing it with us ;)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu May 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Here's the direct link. Great stuff! http://www.myspace.com/petebogash
Danny Ellison

71model

Postby 71model » Fri May 08, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks again, I'll be moving over to the classifieds to post this guitar soon. I appreciate the feedback on Pete Bogash, my intent is for his music and spirit to live on.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”