History and Guide of Official Mosrite Guitar Cases?

101Volts
Master Contributor

History and Guide of Official Mosrite Guitar Cases?

Postby 101Volts » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:47 am

We don't seem to have a guide about original Mosrite Guitar cases. Right now, I don't know about most different kinds nor do I know variants (if any exist.) They couldn't have all been the same.

To start off a list and discussion, my Brass Rail Deluxes case is not rectangular; from the outside it shows it follows the general shape of a guitar. It's blue on the inside and there's a plaque on the side that reads:

"Happy Birthday America
1776 - 1976"

The plaque also has the same serial number for this individual guitar on it. There's a little storage compartment under where the neck sits.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: History and Guide of Official Mosrite Guitar Cases?

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

101Volts wrote:We don't seem to have a guide about original Mosrite Guitar cases. Right now, I don't know about most different kinds nor do I know variants (if any exist.) They couldn't have all been the same.

To start off a list and discussion, my Brass Rail Deluxes case is not rectangular; from the outside it shows it follows the general shape of a guitar. It's blue on the inside and there's a plaque on the side that reads:

"Happy Birthday America
1776 - 1976"

The plaque also has the same serial number for this individual guitar on it. There's a little storage compartment under where the neck sits.

- Austin

Have you got photos Austin?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I'll start with what I know about case used for the Celebrities.

I've seen two types of cases for the Celebrity. One being rectangular with a red interior with curved inserts to match the sides of the bout which keeps it from shifting around.

It seems that the solid body Mosrites also came in a rectangular case, such as the Mark I below.

I've run across a rectangular case for the Gospel, but I don't know if it is only for the solid bodied Gospels (I believe that is the case), all Celebrity based Gospels I have seen came with the Victoria Luggage Case.

The original Celebrity, the "A" series of serial number, of which the first batch were set necks, I've documented them up to A0012, seem to have come in rectangular cases as well as the Victoria Luggage Cases. Most common we see the Victoria Luggage Case. These were very nice cases made with plywood and covered in Tolex on the outside and a plush interior.

These cases were long enough to use with the 12 string guitars as well as the long scale basses.

When I'm looking to verify the case I always look for the label on the face of the cubby.

Once in a great while I will run across a Victoria Luggage Case that has a dark blue plush interior.

I'd love to have one of each of these cases.

From what I can tell these Victoria Luggage cases were used for the Mosrite Celebrity as well as the Gibson ES335, Epiphone Riviera, Fender Coronado, and Ovation Storm series, to name a few.
1982 Fender Bullet

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm

I'll have to check my case for my Mk V Bass. I think it's original but it's been a couple of years since I've looked at it.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Sarah, I don't have photos of the Brass Rail Deluxe Case on hand but I can take some. I will say it looks similar to the one you posted with a dark blue interior but the shape is different and the 4 latches aren't all in the same places.

Thanks for the info of the Celebrity cases. I didn't realize Victoria made the cases at least for the Celebrity models, my Brass Rail case doesn't have a sticker; if there was one, it's long gone.

Perhaps that Gospel case is a reissue? The Gospel Mark V was reissued in Japan some time ago for the Nirvana connection but it seems to have seen a limited release. I just saw one on Jauce.com for about $800.

Gonkulator, similarly I did see pics of the case for the Silverburst MK V (X384.)

http://www.dougbabb.com/DouglasBabb.com ... TBJU1UJHlU

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:57 am

The Gospel case is a reissue. They released those with the Gospel Mk IV from Japan.

I'll take some pictures of my case. It looks like it could be from that time period but definitely not built by Victoria.

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 am

101Volts wrote:Sarah, I don't have photos of the Brass Rail Deluxe Case on hand but I can take some. I will say it looks similar to the one you posted with a dark blue interior but the shape is different and the 4 latches aren't all in the same places.

Same as my Brass Rail case but mine doesn't have the plaque. It's bespoke to the guitar and fits it perfectly.
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

Dickey

Postby Dickey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm

I have an unusual case for my '65 Ventures Mark I...it is blackish-gray tolex, with center pocket & cutout around the guitar body for form-fit, and it has a metal "Mosrite" logo where the "Fender" logo is on their cases. I thought a '65 would come with the alligator case in brown,side pocket, and no form fit.
Wish I knew how to post pics.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Dickey wrote:I have an unusual case for my '65 Ventures Mark I...it is blackish-gray tolex, with center pocket & cutout around the guitar body for form-fit, and it has a metal "Mosrite" logo where the "Fender" logo is on their cases. I thought a '65 would come with the alligator case in brown,side pocket, and no form fit.
Wish I knew how to post pics.

Hi Dickey, you have to upload photos to a hosting sight and paste links here. Or, you can email them to me and I'll put them on my photobucket site and put them here for you. My email is: Sarah@MosriteCelebrity.com
1982 Fender Bullet

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”