Hello, I come in peace...

rsimms3

Hello, I come in peace...

Postby rsimms3 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Recently purchased a Celebrity III and word around the interwebz is that this is THE place to talk about my new acquisition as well as ask questions toward getting it back to full glory. First, a picture.

The good, it seems to be all original and unmolested. The bad...well, the neck isn't squared. Look at the strings and then look at the neck as you go from the headstock to the pickups. Yeah. I have the neck off currently so the first order of business is sourcing the finish washers because mine are shot. I see a seller on eBay, thoughts? Second will be adjusting the neck to the side. There was a gap between the one side of the neck and body which should be smaller for the neck to be squared to the body. I think that's all for now, looks like a nice place to get information (I'm originally a Jazzmaster guy but fate has smiled on me with this new Mosrite).

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Hello, I come in peace...

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Celebrity. Perhaps others will chime in on the neck issue. Looking at the strings I'm reminded of necks that I have seen that had a small thin piece of wood glued to one side of the neck butt. In other words, I'm thinking a small piece say 1/4/ to 1/3 of an inch wide and 1/16 inch thick on the bass side of the neck butt. That would "tilt" the neck toward the treble side. There is a chance this could be done and still have the screws enter the holes properly. My thought is that this neck once had a small piece like that and it's been lost.

I'd love to know what the serial number is. I'll check my data base and see if I have older pics of it.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

rsimms3

Postby rsimms3 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 pm

I figured a shim would be in order, there's room enough in the pocket to get one in there that should straighten it out. I was curious if this was a common issue for these guitars. Serial is K06XX, I can send the full serial through PM if you like. Another project is lubricating the tuners. I've read a couple different approaches including sonic bath first for the metal and then warmed vaseline using a suitable syringe.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:26 am

Sarah, didn't you supply the washers and screws at one point ?

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Welcome to the Mosriteforum !!

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 pm

rsimms3 wrote:I figured a shim would be in order, there's room enough in the pocket to get one in there that should straighten it out. I was curious if this was a common issue for these guitars. Serial is K06XX, I can send the full serial through PM if you like. Another project is lubricating the tuners. I've read a couple different approaches including sonic bath first for the metal and then warmed vaseline using a suitable syringe.

Yes, please do. I'd love to see more photos as well. I think the shims were pretty common. You can also email me at: sarah@MosriteCelebrity.com
1982 Fender Bullet

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 pm

panther wrote:Sarah, didn't you supply the washers and screws at one point ?

Dan

That's right Dan. I have plenty but can't put my hands on them very quickly. If he is in a hurry then that person on eBay is a good choice. Otherwise, when I run across them I'll revisit the thread.
1982 Fender Bullet

driver123

Postby driver123 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 am

rsimms3 wrote:Recently purchased a Celebrity III and word around the interwebz is that this is THE place to talk about my new acquisition as well as ask questions toward getting it back to full glory. First, a picture.

The good, it seems to be all original and unmolested. The bad...well, the neck isn't squared. Look at the strings and then look at the neck as you go from the headstock to the pickups. Yeah. I have the neck off currently so the first order of business is sourcing the finish washers because mine are shot. I see a seller on eBay, thoughts? Second will be adjusting the neck to the side. There was a gap between the one side of the neck and body which should be smaller for the neck to be squared to the body. I think that's all for now, looks like a nice place to get information (I'm originally a Jazzmaster guy but fate has smiled on me with this new Mosrite).

I have the neck off currently so the first order of business is sourcing the finish washers because mine are shot. I think that's all for now, looks like a nice place to get information (I'm originally a Jazzmaster guy but fate has smiled on me with this new Mosrite).

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum, looks like a nice Celebrity III. Come to think of it, seeing as yours is a Red Celebrity III model and other Red Celebrity IIIs faded to orange I wonder what the difference is? Maybe yours has a different batch or brand of paint on it or it stayed out of sunlight more?

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”