Mosrite tremolo drilled holes - not alligned. Why?

Defiler2004

Mosrite tremolo drilled holes - not alligned. Why?

Postby Defiler2004 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi there!
All of the tremolos installed on Mosrites have tremolo string holes not alligned. I wonder why since, for example, Bigsbies are alligned if we can say so.

Is that's some sort of calibration? If yes, do you know "the rule of thumb" for that?
Thanks in advance!

It is crucial for me since I'm making a customized copy with "stratish" string spacing.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite tremolo drilled holes - not alligned. Why?

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:56 am

There are discussions about these hole arrangements in this forum. If memory serves, it has to do with tuning stability. The Mosrite patent might give you clues as well.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am

Defiler2004

Postby Defiler2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Hmmm, I've digged the forum, thanks for the clues! But Bob Shade's reply on one of the topic also left me thinking. There should be (if any) some real physics behind this pattern, not just "mojo" and that bothers me.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 pm

When a guitar is properly intonated, the bridge saddles will be staggered, the Mosrite tailpiece has the strings staggered almost exactly the same. Also note, if you have a Stratocaster, Fender staggered the pole pieces on the pickups, because(I think I’m correct on this explanation) it put them at the proper height, regardless of the actual pickup height, in the right position to capture the vibration of the strings. If you’re patient, and know a really good setup guy, you can adjust your polepeices the same way, it really makes a difference.

On a final note, and take it for what it’s worth, Loretta Moseley told me that the idea/solution for in tune trem action came to him in a dream. That kind of stuff does happen with inventors. A properly intonated Mosrite will bend in tune when using the whammy bar, thanks to those staggered tailpieces and roller bridge saddles.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Defiler2004

Postby Defiler2004 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:42 am

zarfnober wrote:When a guitar is properly intonated, the bridge saddles will be staggered, the Mosrite tailpiece has the strings staggered almost exactly the same. Also note, if you have a Stratocaster, Fender staggered the pole pieces on the pickups, because(I think I’m correct on this explanation) it put them at the proper height, regardless of the actual pickup height, in the right position to capture the vibration of the strings. If you’re patient, and know a really good setup guy, you can adjust your polepeices the same way, it really makes a difference.

On a final note, and take it for what it’s worth, Loretta Moseley told me that the idea/solution for in tune trem action came to him in a dream. That kind of stuff does happen with inventors. A properly intonated Mosrite will bend in tune when using the whammy bar, thanks to those staggered tailpieces and roller bridge saddles.

Rocco

Mr. Rocco,
there is another physics behind the 3rd (G) polepiece in strats - simply after music world switched from 3rd wound string to the unwound 3rd, with the setup where all the polepieces were heighted according to the radius made 3rd string sounding too loud (being the thickest if measuring by the core not the winding) thus 3rd is always compensated. As of the Mosrite bridges, almost if not all of them are pre-radiused and you simply cannot change the height of each string separately. This is easily visible on the photos in thread viewtopic.php?t=3539 - there is no compensation on G-string. Same goes with: tune-o-matics, Rickenbackers, etc. With fenders its a "different music" - all saddles could be adjusted individually.

Logically, Mr. Shade's drilling pattern should be more understandable, because it follows the thickness of each string.

Nick

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”