Need to remove difficult screw - how?

Eduardo Aguilu

Need to remove difficult screw - how?

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello all from the Big Apple.
Last year I bought from Guitar Center a "Vintage Mosrite 1990 Ventures Electric Bass Guitar Sunburst". It looks circa 1965. From various posts/replies on this forum I learned that it was made by KuroKumo as it matched all of the points mentioned by members who own KuroKumos. I bought it mostly to appreciate the Mosrite shape, similar to hanging a painting. I haven't played a bass in years and the thought of starting over stalls me from getting involved now that I'm older and weaker. But that's not why I'm writing. I need your help.

On the pickguard, the screw closest to the bridge cover won't unscrew and I need to remove it so that I can photograph the electronics and the cavity neath the pickguard. In trying to unscrew the screw I didn't use any force as I don't want to cause damage. I need the photos for more possible evidence that it is a KuroKumo. Also I would like to ask you what proof I should look for, type of pots, numbers on the pots. I'm not a techie so keep it simple.

So, to loosen that recalcitrant screw, safely and maybe reuse it. Sprays? Liquids? What?

Edward

LoveyX
Top Producer

Re: Need to remove difficult screw - how?

Postby LoveyX » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:02 am

Hi Edward,
Hopefully you got that pickguard screw out over the weekend so we can see some 'under the hood' pics of that bass.
But if we are not so lucky, assuming all the other screws holding the pickguard are removed, have you tried moving the pickguard slightly from side to side pivoting around the screw? Maybe the additional torque would help to get it started to back it out. I'd be very cautious in case a previous owner glued it in for some reason.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:05 am

If the screw has been glue in, you can use a solder gun/iron to heat the screw head and it should come loose. Be extremely careful not to over heat it and damage the pickguard.
Danny Ellison

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:20 pm

I let my curiosity leave the room and stopped messing with the screw. I'm satisfied with my Mosrite The Ventures model being a 1990 KuroKumo circa 1965 because it says The Ventures model, Mosrite of California, the pickup has a nice clear Mosrite on it, the back peanut-shaped plate says Mosrite, it has a serial number. That's good enough for me. On the screw, I tried WD-40 and it didn't work. The pickguard at that point started to show stress signs so I gave it up. In order to rotate the pickguard clear of the cavity I would have had to remove the volume and tone controls and I wasn't confident that I could maneuver my big hands to try to stick them back through their pickguard holes, etc., etc. I'll be putting it up on ebay shortly and I'll ask $2,000 or Best Offer with free shipping. That's where you'll see my photos of it. For a 28-year-old instrument it looks remarkable. Must have seen a lot of storage and rarely, if ever was played.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 am

Here is a shot in the dark to try. Take a screwdriver that fits the screw head. Put a drop of superglue on the top of the screw, Just enough to cover center of the screw. Place the screwdriver onto the screw and hold until glue sets. carefully try to unscrew the screw. DO NOT GET SG INTO THE THREADS OF THE SCREW OR YOU ARE SCREWED.
You can also buy those broken screw remover kits at home depot or maybe even Walmart. Center tap the screw head, drill a hole into the head of the screw, place the extractor into the hole and unscrew the screw. This may be your safest bet.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks Panther, but by continuing to mess with the screw using your methods I could turn it into a disaster. I'm going to sell it as it is and let the new owner deal with it. Since I was able to see the cavity under the pickguard and it's clean (no writing), only being able to see the pots for specific KuroKumo numbers/text would be desirable but I'm convinced I own a 1990 KuroKumo Mosrite The Ventures model electric bass. It was made with high quality by people who must have cared.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”