Ebay Trems

Out of Limits

Ebay Trems

Postby Out of Limits » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:51 am

I've searched the forum on this, but didn't find answers. Looking at this Mosrite style trem, the seller says it won't interchange with an original Mosrite, but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrato-And-Bri ... 2471672990

My thinking is to combine this string anchor/arm assembly with a custom cast base, and the appropriate bearing assemblies. If the string spacing is off, it's a non-starter, but if it's accurate and I can have a Vibramute style base cast to mate with it, that would work out well.
Stu

FritzCat
Top Producer

Re: Ebay Trems

Postby FritzCat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:59 pm

I have a couple of these, and the string holes vary from one unit to the next. I can get some measurements if you like.

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:06 am

That would be helpful, thanks. I sent a question to the vendor on Ebay, but they haven't answered. I just want to know if the holes in the tailpiece (and bridge, if you have one) are the same spacing as a vintage Mosrite.
Stu

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am

You say if you can have a base cast. Do you plan to do this, or have someone do it for you ? It is quite a process to cast aluminum. a mold has to be made either from another part or hand crafted from scratch. I attempted to make my own, but the process was so involved, I ended up machining mine from solid aluminum blocks. Mine has not been final shaped and polished, I'm waiting to work all the issues out before final finish on the guitar. Danny also made one from scratch and is quite nice.The actual casting process may cost you more than if you purchasers an original Mosrite Tremolo, or purchased one from Bob.
Dan

"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am

Nice job on that. The plan at the moment is to make a wooden pattern and have it cast for me. I've had various parts sand cast by a foundry nearby and as long as I let them fit my work in as and when they can, the cost is reasonable. I'm not looking to reproduce the Mosrite or Vibramute lettering, I just like the look of the '63 - '64 guitars and I prefer the look of the larger base plate with the bridge mounted on it vs. a separate bridge & tailpiece.

Plan B would be to use one of Bob's, but I gather the Hallmark guitars have a wider string spacing, or does that only apply to the nut & bridge?
Stu

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:37 am

I went ahead and ordered one after I found my answer on the string spacing here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5590#p58244
Stu

2hip2b4real

Postby 2hip2b4real » Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 am

The string holes do NOT vary on the eBay trems. Not sure what you're looking at. The hole spacing was taken from a Genuine
Mosrite tremolo :)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”