I need help on wiring my Stratocaster project

SeanTheFunky

I need help on wiring my Stratocaster project

Postby SeanTheFunky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:18 am

Right, guys..

So, I'm currently restoring my Stratocaster and all I need to do now is wire it all up! The problem is that I'm struggling to find diagrams of the specific wiring type I want.

So, what we're basically dealing with is a humbucker in the bridge, no pickup in the middle position and a singlecoil in the neck position. Now, I'm also only using two pots, both volume (one for each pickup), so there's no tone pot on my guitar. I'm also using a Fender style 3-way blade pickup selector. Can anybody shed some light on how I'm supposed to wire this all up?

I understand my articulation of these things isn't great, so here's a picture of it so you get a better idea of what I'm trying to do. Image

commando

Re: I need help on wiring my Stratocaster project

Postby commando » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:04 pm

Last year I replaced a 5 way switch on an old HSS Yamaha Pacifica. When I did that, I took out the tone pot, and put in a 500k volume pot for the humbucker and kept the 250k volume pot for the two single coils. I scoured the internet looking for a wiring diagram but didn't really come up with much. You might want to check out the G&L sb-2 wiring diagram as that is just 2 volume pots and no tone. A family member helped me with the wiring and I think we just looked at a 2 volume, 1 tone, 5-way switch diagram and just ignored the tone pot.

If I am able to get a photo of the wiring I will upload it. I ended up giving that guitar to the drummer in my band and told him to write some songs. Best of luck, I think it's a cool mod because I never turn down the tone, and having 2 volume pots with a switch gives you a kill switch.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:09 am

I know it's been forever since your post BUT..
Check this link.
Dan

They have every possible combination of diagrams I've ever sen.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 am

I've never seen a Strat with just the two control knobs. Is this how it came, or your own idea ?
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:10 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=two+vol ... ZZaOkoU57M:

This should work. It's a diagram I came up with for a strat with two volumes. Just don't hook up the wires for the tone and don't hook up the the lug for the middle pickup.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”