TREMOLO TUNING STABILITY PROBLEM... ?

reverserite

Re: TREMOLO TUNING STABILITY PROBLEM... ?

Postby reverserite » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Another couple of questions to you, guys :

On my tremolo, the 6 holes are in a straight line and not in offset position for some of them, like I saw it on Mosrite tremolo pictures. Do you think that it has its importance on the tuning stability when the tremolo is released ?

Do you know the precise distance from the shaft center to the holes center, so I could compare which what is done on my tremolo ?

Thanks !

A+!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:41 pm

I have made the rockers both ways with excellent results. I don't think that is your issue.

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 am

Bob Shade wrote:I have made the rockers both ways with excellent results. I don't think that is your issue.

OK, Bob - thanks again for your input.

The return to GUN Guitars (oigun) of my faulty tremolo is scheduled. I linked them to this topic for more information. The shaft will be replaced with an hardened ground calibrated one, and the bearings will be replaced too.

Wait and See...

Thanks & A+!

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:08 am

Okay, I finally found the time to take my trem apart and I am more than shocked...
There are NO bearings inside the trem whatsoever...

There's simply a rod leading through these 2 metal 'tunnels' and the whammy. I tried to lower the friction with some graphite, but that doesn't even come close to a real bearing, I guess.

And I had to turn the bridge around, as the nuts were pressed against the bridge PU and it was not rocking at all. And one of the rollers seems to be stuck (G-string)

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:19 am

Yes, I figured this out as to be why the Fillmore Mosrites will not stay in tune. I am surprised Dana never figured this out. But then she does not have alot of experience in building I suppose.

The bad news is, this means all of the Fillmore Mosrites need replacement bearings.

It is a big job because the bearings will not fit in the existing setup.

It is hard to believe Fillmore took the cheap way out out on a set of bearings.

If anyone needs help with their tailpiece to make it right. I will be happy to fix it for $100.00 each, bearings, parts and return shipping included.

Bob

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks for having a look at it Bob. I've pmed you and would be happy if you'd take the time to fix my trem.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:54 am

More than happy to, I will fix the arm as well. You will want to try to figure a way to get those bridge saddle screws from hitting the pickup. That is another problem. We can discuss that when your vibrato is finished up.

Best, Bob

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:09 am

Yes, the Fillmore guitars have tons of issues.
Turning the bridge around is not a real solution, as it is very annoying to set the intonation with the screw head on the side of the pickup.
Also the roller that is stuck (G-string, or D-string when the bridge is turned around) is causing some trouble...
The volume pot was broken and the input jack had a loose connection when the guitar arrived.

Thanks a lot, Mr. Shade, for helping me out! It is always a pleasure doing business with you!

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:56 pm

What is the size of tour faux Bearing cause you Can find some real ?
I find m'y needle Bearing easely ,if they have the Good diameter ext for standard needle bearing

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 am

Yes, the Fillmore guitars have tons of issues.

SanchoPansen,

My 1st idea was to try to find a Fillmore Mosrite, but no left-hand was available. Reading about the issues on yours, I should consider that I am somewhat lucky... I wonder if the ones from Ed Roman are from the same kind...

Fortunately, Bob Shade is willing to help - thanks Mr. Shade !

I am waiting the return from GUN Guitars of my modified / repaired tremolo - I hope it will be flawless, now !

A+!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”