Semi - Mosrite?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Semi - Mosrite?

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm trying to put together a three pickup Mosrite. I've been in touch with the guy in Canada who sells NOS Mosrite parts on ebay and he's got some parts that get me close to my goal. Here I could use some advice.
First, he's got a VIII body. It's partially finished in a two tone sunburst, basically a target with the black not yet sprayed. He's got a neck also partially finished - it's shaped, has a trussrod, speed frets installed, but no nut, tuners, binding or finish. Finally, he's got hardware - a Moseley trem plate, the vibrato base (not the arm), vibrato spring, a roller bridge w/posts, a neck plate and a knob. All the parts are pictured below.

So, I'm not phased by assembly work, but how hard is it to put binding on a neck? How hard is it to attach the vibrato base to the trem plate? How hard is it to make an aluminum nut? Am I crazy to try to take this on? If it matters, I think the price for the parts is reasonable, so that's not an issue.

Advice appreciated!
Mel

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Semi - Mosrite?

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Mel, that looks like an excellent project. Those questions you've asked are all very doable for a novice or first time builder. Just ask as you progress and we'll get you through it. I know there are other's besides myself that are knowledgeable about projects like these and I think it would be good to chronicle the project here on the forum.

In addition, I see that an individual sells rewound Mosrite pickups on eBay. In his current auction he shows not only a picture of his Mosrite pickups but also a photo of himself in his shop with several Mosrite clones under construction. I sent him a message through eBay inviting him to join us here on the forum. eBay auction
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:16 pm

MWaldorf wrote:I'm trying to put together a three pickup Mosrite. I've been in touch with the guy in Canada who sells NOS Mosrite parts on ebay and he's got some parts that get me close to my goal. Here I could use some advice.
First, he's got a VIII body. It's partially finished in a two tone sunburst, basically a target with the black not yet sprayed. He's got a neck also partially finished - it's shaped, has a trussrod, speed frets installed, but no nut, tuners, binding or finish. Finally, he's got hardware - a Moseley trem plate, the vibrato base (not the arm), vibrato spring, a roller bridge w/posts, a neck plate and a knob. All the parts are pictured below.

So, I'm not phased by assembly work, but how hard is it to put binding on a neck? How hard is it to attach the vibrato base to the trem plate? How hard is it to make an aluminum nut? Am I crazy to try to take this on? If it matters, I think the price for the parts is reasonable, so that's not an issue.

Advice appreciated!
Mel

http://www.mosriteforum.com/sale/body.jpg

http://www.mosriteforum.com/sale/neck.jpg

http://www.mosriteforum.com/sale/hardware.jpg

Mel, hard to tell if the finish is worn in some spots, or if it's just the way the camera caught it, but if there are no flaws in the paint on the body, I think it kind of has its own personality in the Cherry Sunburst finish! Then you you might want to take a shot at the Headstock the same way......just a thought...
BTW, besides the one missing knob, you are also missing the Axle Rod and the 2 Washer Bushings to attach Vibrato Section to the Vibrato Faceplate. The Neck Plate and the V. Face plate probably could be chromed at a Body shop. Don't laugh, I've done it, just slip 20 to the guy in charge, and it's done. ;) p.s I STILL like the idea of the CHERRY SUNBURST with Matching Headstock...... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:47 pm

Dennis,
That spot on the body is worn through the finish, which doesn't particularly bother me. The VIII body only has a volume, no tone, so one knob is all I need. I know I'll need the rod and bushing, the guy said the bushing is a common auto part and he could give me a part number. My main concern here is that I'd break the trem plate trying to get the bushing in, klutz that I am on occasion. I've checked and some places around here do chroming, so I could get those parts snazzed up.
One thing I find strange about this body is that all the pickup routes are angled. All of the VIII's I've seen have the three pickups staggered, but I've seen a few bodies like this on auction. I wonder if Semie had changed the design but never got the guitars together?
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:25 pm

In addition, I see that an individual sells rewound Mosrite pickups on eBay. In his current auction he shows not only a picture of his Mosrite pickups but also a photo of himself in his shop with several Mosrite clones under construction. I sent him a message through eBay inviting him to join us here on the forum. eBay auction

Danny,that guy is E.F.Elliott who at one time, worked at Mosrite making pickups. I E-Mailed him asking what it would cost to have some humbuckers made. But the bidding is over! I have never seen anyone set up a bidding item that runs less than 24 hours!!! :shock:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:30 pm

I emailed him also asking what if any parts inventory he has. No response as of yet.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:44 am

Mel, That will be a fantastic project. Please do post pics of its progress.
I'm with Dennis. I like the cherryburst finish. It makes the instrument unique, and as for the rub marks, if it were Fender, they'd charge you extra (relicing) :lol:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:23 pm

OK gang, I've made the plunge and the parts should be on their way soon. So, anyone have any thoughts on neck binding - should I go with white or cream? I prefer the look of aged parts, but maybe I should do white and figure that if/when I finish the neck I'd have some tint in there to mellow it out?

Mel

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Congrats Mel, it'll be a fun project and one that you can be proud to own.

I had posted a link in another thread about guitar building supplies and free information on 'how to' do a lot of things when building, restoring or just setting up a guitar. Stewart Mac Donald Guitar Supplies

I would go with white binding and add a little tint to the clear lacquer when finishing it. Also, Stew Mac sells their own brand of binding glue, but if you are careful in it's use, cyanoacrylate (super glue) 'medium to thick' glue works great a sets up really fast. Problem is it will set up on your fingers as you progress, so use it sparingly.

If you need a vibrato arm, someone mentioned on another forum that they purchased an arm from Bob Shade (Hallmark Guitars) and it worked fine on their Mosrite. I don't recall if there was any fitting involved or not.

Also, did the seller provide you with the auto part number for the bearing/bushings for the vibrato? If so could you post that numer here? I may need some in the future. ;)
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Danny,
Apparently the bearings are Torrington B36, Needle Bearings, and Ford parts have them. I did a quick look and found them on amazon for about $10 a pop.
I had looked at StewMac, I'll try the white binding and their glue, I've had enough grief with projects super gluing my thumb and index finger into that "AOK" grip!
I've talked to Bob Shade about the arm and pickups. He says the arm is a direct fit. I guess we'll see!
Mel

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”