NGD

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Re: NGD

Postby MarkyKobane » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:02 pm

True about the neck. Much thinner than the 61 reissue. It's like a baseball bat!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 pm

MarkyKobane wrote:True about the neck. Much thinner than the 61 reissue. It's like a baseball bat!

Yeah I'm of the oddballs I guess in that don't like Gibson's giant 50s necks. No thanks. Especially on an SG. I prefer their 60's taper or compound neck on everything.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:32 am

Congrats on your SG!

'Purchased an SG Faded not-filled-grain in Root Beer about 6 years ago, very nice "basic" SG.

Added pup covers, skirted knobs...and full-lyre Maestro vibrato ($75 at a local guitar show).

Slim neck (fretboard to back), magnificent neckbody joint, very light weight, pups much hotter than 60s humbuckers. Quite a sweetie of a guitar for not much $$$.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:29 am

Haole Jim wrote:Congrats on your SG!

'Purchased an SG Faded not-filled-grain in Root Beer about 6 years ago, very nice "basic" SG.

Added pup covers, skirted knobs...and full-lyre Maestro vibrato ($75 at a local guitar show).

Slim neck (fretboard to back), magnificent neckbody joint, very light weight, pups much hotter than 60s humbuckers. Quite a sweetie of a guitar for not much $$$.

Thanks a lot! That sounds very cool. Those stripped down SGs are nice guitars than can be got for next to nothing. For example, a little while after getting the Angus SG in this thread, I found this one for 300 bucks!

It's a 70s Tribute. Satin silverburst finish, mini humbuckers, no neck binding or headstock inlays. Very basic, but it's a kickass rock and roll machine. I love the mini-hums. They're about as hot as a P-90, so they're pretty mild but have a terrific bite and crunch while maintaining really nice clarity and clean up well with the guitar vol rolled off. I bought the guitar thinking I'd put some real P-90s in it since the body route is the same, but I like the mini-hums so much they're staying put. And since it was so *relatively* cheap for what it is, I'm thinking I might throw some kind of wacky 70s speedboat glitter-flake paint job on it.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”