Re: Hi from Italy

Postby FrankJames » Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Welcome to the forum !!

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Fri May 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Gretschster wrote:
Nokie wrote:I'd love to hear a before and after demonstration of you do make the change.
-Marty

I can give you the "before" right now. The current configuration is the original hi-blow tron in the neck and a ceramic filtertron at the bridge. I relatively recently figured out the filter was ceramic. I bought it from Duke Kramer in like 1989 and figured it was old stock--but it turns out he was also selling new production parts as well.

The ceramic filters have a very stinging sound, to me in some ways similar to the Mosrite pickups, which is why I'm hesitant to put this Mosrite pick up on the bridge. I joined this forum largely as I thought if there were anyone who experimented with Mosrite pick ups it would be you guys, and I'm interested in any feedback from the experience.

The guitar with the current situation records well, it's not hard to make things sound good with Neumann mics, Echoplexes and blackface Deluxe Reverb amps. But live it lacks.

The subject guitar is the the one at the very beginning and not the slide / wah wah one that follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwENFLFfrAg

Great tone, great song! Yes, that makes a good representative 'before' if you are able to recreate the same conditions for the after. -Marty

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey, glad you get a kick out of MBP! Our tour is going to be up and down Italy and the details are here:
http://www.surferjoe.it/ftm/ And if your friend in Israel knows anyone who'd want to host a tour, would it be so wrong to ask them? :)

I got hooked on the 3 pickup thing when I put one in my trusty Jazzmaster. I realized I could do a decent take on Strat tones without having to play a Strat!

I think you can reasonably match the Mosrite pickup at the bridge with the P90 at the neck. My Dynasonics come in over 10.5K so the output is pretty close to the Mosrite pickups - close enough that you could fine tune the pickup match by height adjustment.

I agree on the post Filtertron single Anniversary model - it's not a set up I'd get much use of. Fortunately, someone had already hacked into this one, and the guy who did the modifications did a high quality and tasteful job. He even made me the "meshuggeneh" sign post pickguard!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Gretschster

Postby Gretschster » Sat May 05, 2012 1:31 am

MWaldorf wrote:Hey, glad you get a kick out of MBP! Our tour is going to be up and down Italy and the details are here:
http://www.surferjoe.it/ftm/ And if your friend in Israel knows anyone who'd want to host a tour, would it be so wrong to ask them? :)

I got hooked on the 3 pickup thing when I put one in my trusty Jazzmaster. I realized I could do a decent take on Strat tones without having to play a Strat!

I think you can reasonably match the Mosrite pickup at the bridge with the P90 at the neck. My Dynasonics come in over 10.5K so the output is pretty close to the Mosrite pickups - close enough that you could fine tune the pickup match by height adjustment.

He even made me the "meshuggeneh" sign post pickguard!

1) Sounds like the work of Paul Setzer on the pickguard and possibly the guitar as well as he's always doing 3 pick up jobs.

2) PM me the specific dates and venues for Italy. I came close to getting us into that Surfer Joe thing but the jobber local guys (rhythm section) demanded too much so that's out. I live in the northwest of Italy near France. The Surfer Joe place is about 4 hours away for reference.

3) I had one Jazzmaster and one Jaguar in the 80s and didn't like them so they were gone. Nothing could touch the 59 hardtail stratocaster. I feel I should give those guitars another chance, like I feel re mosrite. My brother is bringing the dremel and we'll try out some configurations. The dearmond I have is about 9.5. The perfect one perhaps would be those Martin ones which are always higher -- about 11.5.

4) Nokie I'll never be able to replicate that sound again for comparison. I don't think the Otari 8 track originally used works any longer and the studio gear is scattered from Spain to Los Angeles at this point. I'll see what I can do when the project is done.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun May 06, 2012 8:16 am

Gretschster wrote:4) Nokie I'll never be able to replicate that sound again for comparison. I don't think the Otari 8 track originally used works any longer and the studio gear is scattered from Spain to Los Angeles at this point. I'll see what I can do when the project is done.

Yikes, That would indeed be impossible to recreate! While your recording with The Knaves is awesome, I didn't really think it would be make a great before for the very reasons you mention. I was thinkin' you would set up a video/sound recorder to capture the before in your current setting with the guitar as it is now and then do the same after the change. -Marty

Gretschster

Postby Gretschster » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 am

Too late. I already ripped out the ceramic and have a TV jones filters in the bridge as my plan was originally to make them both TV Jones filters. First glitch is that TV jones filters and hi -blow trons are out of phase, but I'm not going to bother to fix it because the hi lo is destined for the parts box anyway.

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 am

Welcome.
Jim

Gretschster

Postby Gretschster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

REVIVING A SEVEN YEAR OLD THREAD-

1) As an epilogue to the Mosrite pickup on a Gretsch discussion I started 7 years ago(!), here is a pocket camera sound test I did--the "after" talked about earlier in this thread.

To me, the addition of the Mosrite pickup is the single greatest modification I've made. The balance with the P90 at the neck is pea in a pod to me and I gigged the guitar a fair bit before stopping a couple of years ago. The neck also went out of whack, but the guitar has now had a reset (it's third and final--for me at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYaGi-0Ho_I

2) I'm still trying to get a pic of that Mosrite tenor.....

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”