My Mosrite MkII clone!

moscarabino

My Mosrite MkII clone!

Postby moscarabino » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 am

Hi guys, I have an argentinian clone of Johnny Ramone's model, it's not an exact one, but it looks pretty nice for me! :)

The thing here is that I'm changing the wiring because I want a closer ramone's sound.

I bought a DiMarzio FS-1 for the rear mic, and I'm going to buy a Seymour Duncan minihandbucker for the front, I've also bought 500k DiMarzio volume and tone pots, but I need some help with the REAL 66' MkII model wiring, i've found a wiring picture here in the forum, but i'm not sure if its the one I need.
If you could help me I'd be real greatful to you!
Hope you can help me and thank you very much! :)
Mosca Rabino.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: My Mosrite MkII clone!

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:58 am

the mkii models were wired the same way most mosrites were. if you follow the mark one wiring, you will be fine. the only difference on johns ventures 2 is he had the neck pickup disconnected. You could do this; make each knob a volume instead of volume and tone. that way you can still use the neck pickup and do the on/off switching effect johnny would do live before they played Pinhead just by setting one volume to zero. Classic punk rock guitar technique. >:)
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:13 am

here's the same wiring, except its two humbuckers instead of a mini humbucker and single coil.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... h_1v_1t_3w

for the two volume version try this.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... humbuckers

the only thing is you would just bypass the tone knobs. the guitar ground and the output jack ground would just solder to the bottom of the volume pots. let use know if you need any help. good luck!
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

moscarabino

Postby moscarabino » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you so much for your help Aaron, I'll try buying two 500k volume pots :D! I have a cuestion, what do you mean when you say that "he had the neck pickup disconnected"?, the minihambucker was just disconnected? I'll try to make a drawing with the wiring and then you tell me if I'm going right! I'm kinda new with this wiring stuff :)
Mosca Rabino.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm

yes! when John had the mini-hum put in the guitar and the dimarizo fat strat I'm assuming he had both working originally and then he later had the neck pickup disconnected. For the longest time I thought he had the guitar wiring to have two volumes, but he didn't. john never used the neck pickup anyway. it's probably why a few of his signature guitars came with just the bridge pickup. the one semie made him, and the black model fillmore made in the early 2000's.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:39 pm

of course what i did to mine is add four knobs like an LP ;)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4827
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

moscarabino

Postby moscarabino » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh, I see, yours looks just great, it's gorgeous and I can imagine that it sounds perfect, but I really don't want to put 4 knobs on my guitar, I like it best just with two of them! I started making a wiring diagram, hope you can help and maybe finish it, I think I'm close, and just ignore the two volume pots, imagine the one in the right side its a tone one, sorry for being so annoying, I just want to finish with all this mess and put all the pieces together. Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me Aaron, I'm really grateful with you!

Mosca Rabino.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 pm

are you using a switchcraft three way toggle, or the type that looks like a big metal box?

like this?
http://www.allparts.com/Short-Straight- ... 66-000.htm

or like this?
http://www.allparts.com/Korean-Toggle-S ... 66-000.htm
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 pm

also what are the colors of the wires coming out the pickups, and what pickup is going inside the guitar?
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 pm

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57 ... wiring.png

the black and green wires are the ground. the caps are .047uF
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”