Fuzzrite help needed

E9th

Re: Fuzzrite help needed

Postby E9th » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 am

with the 22K lifted on one end I get what i think is slightly more volume but still not quite what I would expect. I would still have to have the volume knob maxed...which is no biggie, its useable that way, but it would be nice to be able to get the full range intended for this pedal and have it function as it should. It should give a pretty good boost at max volume right?
The tones in the middle of the depth dial are cool, I can hear the slight octave, but the volume drop in the middle of the depth dial makes those tones not so useable. At either far end of the depth dial the volume is stronger. I know you said this was because of the blending of the the trannies but it doesnt sound right to have that much of a volume drop.

well, I could use it as is, the setting with both knobs maxed is how I'd roll. splatty abrassize fuzz.
I'm open to continuing troubleshooting tho and I do have those .050 ceramic caps, what did you have in mind next Mr. Bill? :)
Thanks!

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Try paralleling a 0.05 cap across the two 0.05 caps on the board one at a time. This is to see if either cap has either gone down in value or has increased in ESR.

Then try the same test across the two 0.002 caps, again one at a time.

E9th

Postby E9th » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Sorry, I dont understand what you mean by "paralleling". My knowledge of electronics and the jargon is very limited, I apologize. Could you explain what needs to be done physically to the board to parellel the caps?

Testing will be by pluggin in and playing or with the meter somehow? I have four .001 caps instead of the two .002 on my board. Should I go ahead and reconnect that lifted 22K resistor?

thanks again!

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm

You "paralleled" a resistor on the pots to get a different value. Just clip or twist or hold the add on cap across the terminals of the original cap.

You want to be set up and playing through the fuzz to hear the differences as you add the extra cap. When a resistor is paralleled with another, the overall value goes down. When you parallel a capacitor with another the value adds up. So when you attach the second cap to the circuit you are testing to see if the original cap has either opened up or reduced in value.

As for the 22K resistor, leave it out for now.

E9th

Postby E9th » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Brilliant. After parelleling the .05 cap with one set of the .001 caps on the board I got the volume boost one would expect. :D So I guess i need to get a .002 cap to replace the bad .001s, or should I use two new .001's like they originally did?

edit: looks like the .001s are far more common and easily attainable, be nice ot keep it as close to as it was as i can too so I'll order some new .001s and report back once installed.

Thanks, i think this is gona do it. :)

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 am

Good to hear! I'm gonna suggest that you replace all 4 of the 0.001 caps as a batch.

Let us know how it works out.

E9th

Postby E9th » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

will do. I found some .001 ceramic caps here at work that look just like the old ones so i will do both sets tonight when I get home from work and report back.

E9th

Postby E9th » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Success! :D It now has all the volume one would expect. I cannot thank you enough Mr. Bill for your patience, perseverance and considerable knowledge!

CHEERS! :mrgreen:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:01 am

Most of the technical stuff is far beyond my comprehension but I have been following this thread nonetheless; for the fun of it and to hopefully hear the final outcome. Fantastic guys! Congrats to you both for an operation well done ...'long distance' style :shock:
Now, hold on to your seats when NASA too, gets a whiff of this! :D

E9th

Postby E9th » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 am

I wish I knew how , and the had the equipment needed, to post a video of the pedal for all to see/hear.
Thanks again Mr. Bill for stikcing it thru to the end. Or should I say the beginning? of this pedals new life.
I dont re-sell these things, I play em. I'm sure this one will get used on a recording someday soon. 8-)

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”